PDF downloading

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msazbubble, Apr 5, 2011.

1. msazbubble macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently removed Adobe Reader from my mac and changed the default setting to use Preview to open pdfs.

However, now whenever I click on a pdf download, the download box doesn't appear and the download doesn't happen. I know it works because it is downloading other file formats such as word and .mp3

Instead, an internet window is opening with presumably the URL for the download and the window itself is blank.

Does anyone know what my problem is and can help?

Thanks !

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How did you change the default settings?

Questions about downloading files are often meaningless without a link to the specific files that you are trying to download. At the very least, post a screenshot of the website from which the file is being downloaded.

3. msazbubble thread starter macrumors newbie

I right-clicked on a pdf file and selected it to open with Preview and selected the option for all files of the .pdf type to open with Preview.

And the downloading/opening is everywhere. I was trying to open the specification for my course from edexcel (which I know works because in frustration I went and did it on my old PC and brought it accross on a USB).

It's not just not downloading them, though that is the biggest problem; it also won't open web pages that are based on pdf.

I have no idea what I've done !

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Choose Help->Installed Plugins and see if Safari still thinks it has the acrobat plugin.

If it is still there, I'm not sure how to resolve it. I think the first thing I would try is to delete the plist file for safari.

5. msazbubble thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think so, is it the bit at the top?

Attached Files:

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Found this in another post - you might try it:

You might also want to learn about using MRoogle to find answers more quicly.

7. msazbubble thread starter macrumors newbie

There's nothing in my Library/Internet Plug-ins folder.

Thanks anyway for the help !

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

On my machine, it is not in ~/Library/Internet... it is in the system library: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins