PDF editing apps in iPad 3 - seeking advice

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kpmainali, Mar 25, 2012.

1. kpmainali, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

kpmainali macrumors newbie

I purchased new iPad (3) primarily for the purpose of reading scientific journal articles. I very much appreciate any suggestion for the following problem.

I read articles in pdf format in multiple devices (desktop, laptop and new iPad); the articles are in my dropbox folder. I also need to be able to edit the pdf files in iPad as I can do it in my PC with Acrobat Pro X. I need to be able to edit the same pdf file in both PC and iPad and access it in all devices.

So... I have a pdf file with comments, highlights inserted with Acrobat Pro X in PC... like this [if you do not see image below, then look at the first attachment]

[​IMG]

What I open that file in iPad, here is what happened. If I used Adobe Reader, I cannot see any of these comments or highlights but the text looks crispy with no resolution issues. If I used PDFReader Pro Edition for iPad (yes, the $9.99 one) to open the file, the text is much much blurred, the the highlights have faded color and comments have different font type and color. [second attachment]
    [​IMG]

I added a comment and a stamp in PDFReader Pro Edition for iPad. This file looks like below when opened in Acrobat Pro X in PC. Now, original highlight color has been re-established but comment text font has changed again. [third attachment]
    [​IMG]

Is there any app that (1) does not have any issue with reading pdf files edited in Acrobat Pro X, (2) can easily edit pdf files and Acrobat Pro X can read it without any formating issue, (3) has no resolution issue and can display crispy text as Adobe Reader or Pro X does. In the absence of such app, I am likely to return the new iPad. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Take a look at Goodreader. I've made heavy PDF annotations in Goodreader and was able to see and change them on my PC. Uploaded the changed PDF to dropbox and reopened in Goodreader and saw the changes made on my PcC in Goodreader.

3. deeddawg macrumors 603

Check out PDF Expert. Annotations, highlights, etc. Dropbox sync.

I used it a lot during grad school to read and highlight PDFs (MBA case studies)

Pm me if you want to email me a doc to open and highlight/annotate and send back.

Some PDF editing apps on iPad rasterize the PDF before adding their highlights and such, this is what you probably experienced.

4. kpmainali thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. Would you mind sending me a pdf page with highlight and annotations inserted with PDF Expert to kpmainali AT gmail DOT com? When you view a journal page on PDF Expert vs Adobe Reader, do you see a difference in text clarity and crispiness? Do you work on iPad 2 or the new one?

----------

Thank you very much. Do you see a difference in text clarity and crispiness wen you open a pdf page Goodreader vs Adobe Reader? Do you work on iPad 2 or the new one? Would you mind sending me a pdf page with highlight and annotations inserted with Gooodreader to kpmainali AT gmail DOT com? Thanks again.

5. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

6. mathmad macrumors newbie

Hi, does pdf expert support Retina display? (iAnnotate doesn't at the moment)

7. deeddawg macrumors 603

Sent something that should help. I did most of my work on ipad2, I graduated befor the new one came out, but what I just sent was done on the new one. Since I use a Mac as my personal system, I don't use Adobe just the built in PDF viewer. Seemed to be fine, again probably because PDF expert isn't rasterizing and flattening the PDF like a previous PDF app used to do.

It's weird, it hasn't been updated but PDFs seem to be getting rendered at retina resolution and look crisper than they did on my ipad2. Referring to try PDFs documents, not PDFs containing scans of paper docs (which many of the case studies I used to read were)

8. kpmainali thread starter macrumors newbie

9. edk macrumors regular

+1 for goodreader. Also, you can email yourself the highlighted text from within goodreader as well.