PDF Editor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexjsilver, Jul 6, 2008.

1. alexjsilver macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a long time windows user. Now i've switched to Mac.

I do a lot of PDF editing on my PC. I use Nitro PDF.

With Nitro PDF, if a PDF file was created directly from a Word or RTF file i can edit the text in nitro. I just click on edit, and then click on the text i want to edit, and then type or delete away.

I need to be able to do this on my mac as well. Does anyone know of a program that allows me to do this?

Please help me. I downloaded about 6 or 7 PDF programs for the mac today and none of them seemed to allow this simple task.

Thank you,
    Alex

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What have you tried so far?

There is obviously Acrobat 9, which is more expensive at $300 than Nitro's $100, but that could be an option.

3. rfjc macrumors newbie

4. crd macrumors newbie

Actually, it would cost you $450 for Acrobat 9 now, as Adobe have stopped making Acrobat Standard available on the Mac. Thus you would need to purchase Acrobat Pro.

So, if you were happy with the Nitro product you were talking about, you could pickup a copy of VMWare Fusion for $80 and keep using that.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You forgot to add that he would need to buy a full copy Windows license.

6. alexjsilver thread starter macrumors newbie

PDF Editor

So this is a little frustrating. I made the switch to mac cause i wanted to get away, to some extent from microsoft. I was tired of my computer breaking, or software not working, or whatever else. If i need to full on run windows then what's the point? I would have bought a pc. I am running crossover which lets me run some windows apps on my mac without loading windows. I use it for IE so that i can see my outlook web access which won't work with anything else.
    I am really surprised that there is no good pdf editor for mac. Really, i can't find a single program other than adobe (which i will not buy, i just won't do it) that let's me edit the text in a pdf file. Really, i can't get my mind around it. It seems like such a basic function. Anyone else with good ideas?

-Alex

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it's not a basic function. You would be well served to whine less and research more. If you had, then you might have found this.

8. portent macrumors 6502a

The main light-duty offering is PDFPen, which you could have found with a simple google search:
    http://www.smileonmymac.com/PDFpen/

There is an excellent PDF editor for the Mac. It's called Acrobat Professional. Since so many Mac users are publishing professionals, most of them don't bother playing around with anything less.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

It is NOT a basic function. When you change even just one word in a PDF document how is the paragraph to be re-formatted. How is space to be distributed between the letters and word and do the lines need to be re-wrapped? A PDF editor needs to have to same level of control as Adobe in-design. certainly NOT "basic"

Adobe Acrobat is the best way to go. It is by far the most powerful and creates the best documents. The trouble is that it is not cheap and not free.

Why are you editing the PDF file if you have the source document? Seems it would be easier to edit the RTF file then recreate a new PDF.

Other ideas..

I thought iWork's "Pages" can open PDF documents now.
    I'm less sure but I thought Open Office could do this too.

With considerable effort you can edit PDF documents using the Unix tools that ship with every Mac.