PDF Expert is out.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Readdlemate, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Hello everyone.
    We are glad to announce that PDF Expert has appeared at the AppStore yesterday.
    Readdle tried to summarize all experience, resources, feedbacks and suggestions of customers and to satisfy their needs in stable PDF reading application. As a result PDF Expert was created.

PDF Expert provides set of professional functions to overcome the limitations of built-in iPhone PDF viewer. Saving PDF email attachments, full text search, support for password protected documents, navigation through embedded PDF bookmarks, handling large PDF files are the most essential to mention..

With PDF Expert you can:

* Save Email Attachments. Including Password Protected Ones.

— Forward email with attachment to your unique Readdle Storage e-mail address and save it to your device using PDF Expert.
    — PDF Expert opens password protected PDF documents. Please note that DRM protected files are not supported.
    * Read Any PDF the Way You Want

— Navigate through the document using embedded bookmarks. Great for reading ebooks by topics and chapters.
    — Full screen and landscape modes to maximize screen usage
    — Search for keyword or phrase
    — Go to specific page
    — Create your own bookmarks
    — Open almost any PDF file. Tested on 1400+ page books.
    * Share the Text You Read

— Select text from the PDF file you are reading, copy to clipboard and paste into any application you want.
    — Email files stored inside PDF Expert to your colleagues and partners
    * Read Non-PDF Documents As Well

Besides PDF files, PDF Experts allows viewing Microsoft Office files, iWork documents, HTML, TXT and image files.
    * Use Your iPhone As a Wireless Drive

Mount PDF Expert as a shared network drive over Wi-Fi network to any computer and copy documents to the iPhone using simple Drag & Drop. No additional software required.
    * Transfer Files to Your iPhone with or without Wi-Fi

PDF Expert supports transferring files to your device using both EDGE or 3G network. Just upload your documents to Readdle Storage using regular Internet connection and instantly access them from PDF Expert.
    * Use Other Essential Features

— Password protection for your files
    — Embedded zip/unzip archiver
    — Fast scroll through large documents
    — Flexible file management
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'd like to hear you opinions, feedbacks and suggestions concerning our new application.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Why weren't these features just incorporated into ReaddleDocs? And its not like there aren't already 50 other PDF readers in the App Store already. I know you want an extra $4.99 in your wallet, but with limited storage space, we need to consolidate apps, not make more. I suppose DOC expert is next, right?

3. odelay macrumors 6502

Seconded. There seems a lot of overlap with the Readdle apps. ReaddleDocs, OneDisk, FlashDrive and now this. Puts me off this dev to be honest. I'm more than happy with Docs to Go.

4. iTeleport macrumors member

Wow, I just bought ReaddleDocs on Saturday. And now a better product, but just under a different name is released?

If you've redesigned this based on comments from ReaddleDocs users then why didn't you add these updates to that App? Well at least I've only wasted £2.99 on your product, and I certainly won't expect any new features from it.

Also I like that you've said issues of "stability" have been addressed, but it's in an entirely new App.

Another developer on my bad list then!

5. finalcut macrumors 6502

I agree, so many pdf app on store anyway. Couldn't they do an all-in-one app instead :/

6. jhanlon macrumors member

@readdlemate is this functionality the same pdf functionality included within Readdledocs? If not, why should any one trust your products to be maintained? If so, please let us know.

7. Readdlemate thread starter Suspended

Readdlemate

PDF Expert is based on completely different pdf rendering engine written from scratch. Technically this is the brand new product though it shares some interface elements with ReaddleDocs.

8. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Well I thought I'd give this a go and I'm quite pleased with it. And it certainly seems to render files differently but more importantly, successfully. I've a number of complex files that it has managed very well, without crashing. It's quite quick and smooth.

The email to Readdle's depository To then d/l into the app works well enough though it took me a while to work it all out.

All in all I'm quite pleased with it.

9. Marky macrumors regular

So different it does the same (with PDFs) only better than the existing app.

You should be rolling this out as an update to the existing app!

:mad:

10. gekkota macrumors member

I completely agree that it would be more desirable to consolidate apps due to the storage constraints. I surely don't want fill up the limited space on my iPhone with a variety of Readdle icons!

Just an FYI--if anyone is looking for a standalone PDF reader, check out GoodReader for $4.99. It's the best I have found and I have looked at a lot of them. Great for reading ebooks in pdf format, since it is specifically designed to work well with large pdf documents.

(In any discussion about pdf reader apps I always chime in with praise for GoodReader. I am not affiliated with the developer--it's just that I spent a lot of time trying to find a good pdf reader and I am just so pleased with GoodReader that I keep mentioning it! :) )

11. Readdlemate thread starter Suspended

Readdlemate

We couldn't paste this into the old app (ReaddleDocs) because PDF Expert are written on the whole new engine with additional possibilities for rendering, reading, scrolling large PDF files. Saving PDF email attachments is also an additional option, which is used only in PDF expert. The most excluiseve feature is that you can copy/cut fragments of the text in your PDF file and paste them in notes and so on.

12. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Must admit that this feature alone has made it worthwhile for me.

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

14. Igor Zhadanov macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone who leave your comments here. I'm Igor Zhadanov, Readdle co-founder and I want to give you some information about future of ReaddleDocs, PDF Expert and our other apps because this thread shows that you certainly deserve to have it.

1. Will be PDF Expert functionality added to ReaddleDocs?
    Yes, it will be added to ReaddleDocs as part of the huge "PRO" paid upgrade package available via "in-app" purchase. It will be released simultaneously with ReaddleDocs 2.0 app.

2. What features will be available within "PRO" upgrade package?
    - All PDF Expert functionality
    - Built-in "Classics" style ebook reader.
    - Support for saving email attachments directly to ReaddleDocs. (i.e. bypassing Readdle Storage)

3. Will be ReaddleDocs product further supported with the new features?
    Yes, we will continue to add new features to ReaddleDocs 1.x. Free update will feature:
    - Completely redesigned interface.
    - More file management features.
    - Improved web browser.
    - Support for source code files.
    - Other updates based on user feedbacks

4. Why will be this "PRO" upgrade package paid?
    This feature set provides great additional value to ReaddleDocs users, that you can't find in any other product on the App Store. You will not find better alternative to this offer on the App Store.

5. How much would it cost?
    Less then USD $4.99. We are gathering feedbacks from our users to determine fair price. You could leave your suggestions in comments.

15. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Well that's a no-brainer, as it's designed to handle docs and spreadsheets. But as far as PDFs are concerned, it in fact does less. QUICKOFFICE can't select text for copy/paste elsewhere, can't search within the PDF for specific text, can't jump to a specific page and it's rendering isn't quite as solid as this app seems (granted this last point is subjective at the moment). PDF Expert does all this and more. Need I go on?

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is fine. I would rather have to pay for a ReaddleDocs update that includes these features than to buy a separate PDF app in addition to the ReaddleDocs I already own. If I had it my way, I would rather just have one single app on my iPhone that could do everything. I find it annoying that there are a million apps available and they all do one very specific small task. Consolidation of Apps is the way of the future, this will save space, be more user-friendly (we won't have to swipe through 9 pages of apps looking for what we want), and further eliminate the need for background tasks.

17. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Does this app allows me to search words within PDFs?

18. Igor Zhadanov macrumors newbie

Yes, PDF Expert allows you to search words and phrases within PDFs.

19. iTech Dev Sys. macrumors member

20. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I purchased PDF Expert just because of the search feature and I love it. Thanks

21. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Cool, I agree, I'm quite willing to pay for add ons rather than buying a new app. I'll wait for this in app purchase rather than buy PDF Expert, but you already know my money is yours, also thanks to Lostlogik for highlighting the good points of PDF Expert, it has me sold on the add on.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

23. schweinsteiger macrumors member

simply transfer email attachments to laptop without wifi

Here is my situation. When I'm on vacation in Spain I usually go to some wifi hotspot and download my emails on my laptop. This year I want to be able to do this on my ipod touch. Then I go to my vacation home and would like to transfer the email attachments to my laptop. There is no internet connection at my vacation home. Using my MacBookPro's built in wireless card I can connect to my iPod Touch (still no internet, just laptop to device).

After transferring the attachment files (mostly jpegs, zip files and word docs) to my MacBookPro, I work on them (I'm a graphic designer). Then I want to transfer the result of my work (usually as PDFs) to my iPodTouch (still no internet, just laptop to device).

Then I would go to the wifi hotspot and send these new PDFs to my clients over email.

I'm not interested in reading or doing anything with these attachments on my iPod, I just want to have a possibility of storing the attachments and bringing them "home" to my laptop and vice versa.

I was about to get the ReaddleDocs today when I stumbled across this thread.

It seems that PDF Expert does the same, but is better/newer in functionality?

Will PDF Expert enable me to do what I described above?

Saving attachments (not just PDFs, but also zips and docs) to my IpodTouch and being able to send files I store on the iPod via PDF Expert as email attachments?

My main incentive is that when I'm in Spain on a hot summer day I don't want to log my 17 Mac Book Pro around just to send and receive email attachments.

Thanks for any advice!

24. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

If PDF Expert & ReaddleDocs Pro will cost the same, then what would be the difference between the two??? Is one better then the other :confused:

25. schweinsteiger macrumors member

one more question about PDF Expert

I purchased PDF Expert and installed it on my iPod Touch.

I managed to set up some things, one thing doesn't seem to work yet.

I wonder if anyone could help.

I can connect to the PDF Expert DOCUMENTS folder on my iPod Touch from my computer. I can copy a file onto it and then manage to email that file as an attachment from my iPod Touch.

I am also able to forward email attachment to my ReaddleMailIn address, and they show up in my readdle storage (online)

What doesn't seem to work is connecting the iPod Touch to the Readdle storage.

In settings I repeatedly have entered my login ID and Password, checking either "Save" or "Done" after entering the Password.

The app checks the ID/PW and switches back to the setting page.

The only items I can see in the "Document" folder in PDF Expert are the files I copied from my computer to the iPod.

Where do I find the forwarded attachment files that show up in my Readdle storage on my iPod?

Am I missing something?