PDF file crashing my system can't remove it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sedeviggo, May 5, 2011.

1. sedeviggo macrumors newbie

Hello all

I am new to the forum , so please excuse me if I am making nay mistakes.

I have a problem with a pdf file that was sent to me by a business associate last night.

The email sent contained a pdf file that when I try and open it it freezes my system and brings on the dreaded spinning ball for ever, to resolve this i have to turn my mac off and on again.

If I try and highlight the pdf file in documents , again the spinning wheel shows up and again I have to turn off and on again.

The file needs to be deleted, but how do I do this if I cant even get near to it before my systems freezes and the spinning wheel shows up.

It is now affecting all my system.

I am desperate for help as have approached apple support but they cant help

Hope to get a reply

Thanks

Viggo

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can delete the file in terminal.

Close the finder window containing the pdf file so it doesn't affect you again.

In spotlight, type terminal

In terminal, type
    cd

you will now be in your home directory, now type
    cd Documents

if you know the name of the file, and it's in Documents, you can delete it...

rm badfile.pdf

It should now be gone.
    If you forgot the name of the file, type
    ls *.pdf

you now have a list of all the pdf files in your Documents folder. You can now type
    rm (copy and paste the name of the bad file from the listing you got from ls)
    It should now be gone.

Of course the same procedure is true if the file is somewhere else such as downloads, you would type cd Downloads above instead of cd Documents.

Hope this helps...