PDF files open with Preview in a new window and download.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prozin, Aug 17, 2011.

1. prozin macrumors newbie

We are homeschoolers and my son uses a MacBook to do some of his studies. All last year whenever we clicked on a link in a certain area of his homeschool website, the link opened a pdf file within the same browser. This school year we click on the same links and now my Mac downloads the file and opens it in a new window. I have spoken with the school and they claim they have made no changes to cause the problem. I also tried on a Windows computer and it works fine, just as it did on the Mac previously. Is there any way to go back to the old way where we click on the link and it opens right there on the same page without downloading and opening a new window? I have tried to work with Adobe and Safari thinking it may be a Safari issue, but no luck. This is very annoying and I would appreciate some assistance if possible.

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I've noticed that too. Some PDFs download rather than display in Safari. I think it's a bug.

3. MrWaffles macrumors member

it happens to me to. I thought you had the option to do it either way, but after just checking nothing seems to work. I didn't try chrome or firefox. I assume everyone is using safari? Sucks when I have to go through a bunch of them to find something and end up with 15 on my desktop.

4. prozin thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded FireFox and Adobe but the same problem occurs. I cannot seem to resolve this. I have changed every option to see if I can get it fixed but nothing yet. Can anyone else out there offer some solution? Thanks.