PDF Font Support?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GaresTaylan, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, quick question.

I have a lot of PDF files that I have been adding to my iPad, mostly books in PDF format. I have one in particular that has text overlapping and showing up garbled because I dont think the text is supported on the iPad. If I convert the PDF to upub the text is fine, but then all images and columns get hosed up.

Does anyone know of a simple solution for this. The PDF is hundreds of pages and I cant figure out a way to change all text in a PDF using acrobat pro, just small chunks at a time. I have tried to view the PDFs using both iBooks and Stanza.

2. mikescrutton macrumors newbie

Check the fonts the PDF file uses

It's possible that the PDF file only references the fonts that it uses and hasn't got them embedded. In Acrobat Pro, go to File -> Properties and click on the Fonts tab to see which fonts the document uses. That should give some clues as to whether they are present or not.

You can also go to the PDF Optimizer an Acrobat Pro (Advanced -> PDF Optimizer) and look at the options for Fonts to see if they can be embedded that way.

If you have print rights to the PDF, you can print it again to the Adobe PDF Printer to create a new copy of the PDF, but be sure to use PDF Creation Settings that embed all fonts like PDF/X-4 (don't use the 'Standard' setting which won't). That will force all of the fonts that are eligbilbe for embedding into the PDF.

If none of that works, because the PDF refers to fonts that you plain don't have on your system, Acrobat and Reader are able to emulate them, probably in ways that are beyond the iPad apps and you're probably out of luck. But hopefully the above tips might get you there!

Mike

3. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. None of these methods worked, unfortunately. I cant believe there is no way to adjust all the font in a PDF. Or since you can view the types of fonts used it would seem that there would be an option to change all text in the PDF that uses that style font to a different style. Good 'ol Adobe. :rolleyes:

Guess I will have to use the epub without the images and columns, etc.

4. mikescrutton macrumors newbie

Export as RTF?

Have you tried 'Export as RTF'?

5. thefreeagent macrumors member

Will be fixed in 4.2

Hey just wanted to say that problem has been in iOS 3.xx rather than in the PDF encoding. I use PDF's all the time, and this has been very frustrating for me as well. After 4.0 was released, it ceased happening (i.e. PDF scrambling) for iPod touch, and iPhone, and I can confirm that this has been resolved on iPad for me now that I'm running 4.2 GM. Hope this helps!

6. mikescrutton macrumors newbie

Or images if you're really desperate

@GaresTaylan:If you're really desperate, you can export the PDF as a series of images (.jpg or TIFF), thereby forcing Acrobat to do the rendering for you!

@TheFreeAgent: Good to know! Roll on the iPad 4.2 roll-out!

7. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried to export as RTF - really screwed the document up.

Im actually trying to export as TIFF now. Gonna take awhile though. Thanks for the idea and Ill see how it goes.

8. thefreeagent macrumors member

.....or, if the other routes prove to be too difficult, you could install 4.2 GM on your iPad....just a thought, anyway. Good luck with your efforts.