Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
I wonder how the forms support in Sonoma really is. It was mentioned in the keynote and currently the forms support in Preview is really basic. I need PDF Expert of similar to fill out forms while Preview loves to break them.

For example this German form gave me a lot of troubles while PDF Expert had no problems with it: https://www.hamburg.de/Dibis/form/pdf/BA-6405-1.pdf

I just don't want to use the annotate feature to fill out ArcroForms in a PDF. When someone opens such a file in another PDF application it is a mess.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
When I open the PDF you linked, switch to edit-mode and try to enter something in one of the text fields, I get an error that I have to provide a password to unlock saving. Same on iPadOS 17 betas. As a result I can not edit the form.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
So it is still a mess, I tried this with PDF Expert and UPDF and even Chrome and it works. And yes, the PDF is encrypted for some reason.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
The edit-functionality works as far as I tried fine - actually as one would expect. This is the first PDF which I have problems with on Sonoma/iPadOS17. I reported it as a bug. Will try with some other protected PDFs later.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
With most other PDF viewers/editors like PDF Expert, UPDF, or Chrome I can fill out this form, the font stays consistent and fits, also when I print the form the yellow buttons are not printed. Currently Preview can't do that. I hoped macOS 14 would improve that behaviour.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
With most other PDF viewers/editors like PDF Expert, UPDF, or Chrome I can fill out this form, the font stays consistent and fits, also when I print the form the yellow buttons are not printed. Currently Preview can't do that. I hoped macOS 14 would improve that behaviour.

Sonoma is still in beta. If the feature isn’t working the way you think it should, report it. It may be a bug.

Numa_Numa_eh

Suspended
Jun 1, 2023
I just tried this and it functioned identically on Preview in Ventura and Chrome.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Sonoma is still in beta. If the feature isn’t working the way you think it should, report it. It may be a bug.
I'm not using the Beta, I asked if the forms functionality and the support for AcroForms improved in macOS 14 but what I'm hearing is that it doesn't. And Apple sadly doesn't really read the feedback I have 8 feedback request open. Among other a bug in Venture Preview has a problem finding umlauts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.