Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I made a poster design in Adobe inDesign and exported it as a PDF. It retains full image quality in Mac preview. But when I insert the PDF into the PPT presentation, and I play the slide fullscreen, it loses quality. Anyway to make it so PPT doesn't compress the pdf image?

PPT version 16.9.1 on Mac (Office 365)

I tried google but wasn't able to find a solution specific to my version.

Last edited:

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
I have the same problem with "paste as picture"; i.e. when inserting tables / charts from Excel (PDF cuts the borders off).

Infuriating and, like you, I've been unable to find a solution via Google.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
For awhile MS Office converted other "image" formats into its own format when pasting into PPT. If you have a retina Mac, take a snapshot (which on my 2013 15-MBP is approximately 4K) and paste that into PPT.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I fought this problem a few years ago and punted. What I do now is use some PDF display app and take a screen shot of the part of the PDF image I want to use. I then put the resulting png (the format I save screen shots in) into PPT or whatever other app I want to embed the image in.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
What's your setting in PowerPoint at File>Compress Pictures…?
it was set to something there than original quality but I changed it and it seemed to have no effect. Even tried re importing the pdf
[doublepost=1518463583][/doublepost]I found somewhat of a solution. I exported the ppt to a PDF without my poster. I then opened the ppt PDF in preview and dragged my PDF poster into the ppt PDF and the quality is much better. Seems like the solution is to just avoid ppt. ha. This worked because I just wanted the poster as one slide, obviously won't work for putting pictures inside of slides

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
What's your setting in PowerPoint at File>Compress Pictures…?
That's an action, not a setting.

If you switch it to "Original" it has no impact, it won't upscale images back to a higher resolution or have any impact on the resolution of further images pasted in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.