PDF loses search capability!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harry*333, Jan 26, 2011.

1. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

So I created a PDF through wikipedia's book creator, downloaded the file and everything works just fine. But I want to be able to edit(annotate, highlight, hyperlink etc.) so I'll do anything at all that counts as a edit and then save, when I reopen it the search capability is all messed up, if I search "as" it will find things like "ds" "0I" and all kinda of random stuff. It also happens if I just "Save as..." the file without editing it. I've been working in Preview but it also happens in Adobe Reader. I still have the original file so I just need to find out how to make this not happen, any ideas?
    Running 10.6.6

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To have complete editing capabilities on .pdf files, you need Adobe Acrobat. Preview and Adobe Reader don't have full editing capabilities. Even with Acrobat, editing .pdfs is cumbersome. I find it's easier to edit an original document, such as a Word document, and then re-save it as a .pdf, rather than attempting to edit the .pdf itself.

3. Carinay macrumors newbie

Carinay

To edit pdf files, you don't neccessarily purchase Acrobat as there's a free alternative now. AnyBiz pdf editor for mac beta version is free. You can use it to edit, annotate, convert pdf on mac.
    Have a try.