PDF management utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrysrobyn, Sep 12, 2007.

1. chrysrobyn macrumors member

Long time listener, first time caller.

I need to handle a few thousand household papers related to my father-in-law's death. Specifically, I want to throw them away, but my lawyer and a cousin agree that I might need information off them some time in the next 5-10 years. Without boring you with the details of why this is important, they have compelling arguments. So, I'd like to scan them in and shred the originals.

These papers are mostly organized, sometimes not only by year, but also by category, but usually only by year. What is organized isn't organized in any way that getting information is easy or quick. I'd really like to scan it all in (searchable OCRed PDF) then sort it out digitally over the next six months, long after selling the building they're currently in. DevonTHINK and Yep look great for keeping track of existing PDFs and searching through them, and that's part of what I need done, but I'd also like to be able to move pages from one file to another (ie from 1999GiantPileOCrap.PDF to 1997-2002CategoryOne.PDF) -- neither of them do that. It's a given that I'll be picking up a scanner with a document feeder, likely an HP one with an attached laser printer (the LaserWriter II is long overdue for the pasture).

Is there anything out there for PDF to PDF moves? I won't do Windows under any circumstances -- I'm a Mac Convert and really see no reason to move back.

2. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you need to do but PDFClerk may be useful. It can combine, sort, insert and extract pages as well as exchange pages between documents.

3. extralarge macrumors member

Any new one?

As time goes by, I got some new software out there for manage the pdfs, iDocument is one of them. It integrated the documents organization,sharing and encrypting in one application. I figure it definitely better than the previous ones.
    Here is the link for it document management software for mac.

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You could give BibDesk a try. It's integration with LaTeX probably won't interest you, but it's otherwise much like iTunes for papers, with smart lists, auto filing, etc.

Also, to answer the OP's question, Preview (from Leopard onwards) can extract/add pages to a PDF. (Thought I'd guess after 2 years the OP probably found an answer...)

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I'm using DevonThink with ScanSnap 1500M. This will take care of everything you mentioned. Absolutely wonderful. I'm about 90% paperless, and very organized. I highly recommend this combo.

The feature I love the most? If you don't want to do full OCR (it takes longer), you can highlight keywords with a yellow highlighter and it'll save the highlights as keywords for searches, etc. Yeah, awesome.

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I didn't know this was free.

7. dbwie macrumors 6502

PDFpen can do some OCR on scanned documents, and gives a good set of PDF editing tools, including insertion/deletion of pages, and combining pages into one PDF.

For storage, I have used EagleFiler to store all kinds of things.