PDF / Numbers / Preview / Windows XP Disconnect

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mary H, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

I am having an unusual problem and have been unable to connect the dots. I have an internet site I am required to access via a Windows platform which I do using XP and Parallels. I also have several programs which I use on Win XP. I have two issues with transferring between the programs and also printing issues. So I recently discovered PDF Creator which transfers my printing into a pdf file which is great. However, when it tries to open the new pdf document after it has compiled it, it attempts to use Numbers to open the file - which doesn't work. I can't find any way to change this default action.

When I am accessing the internet service and I am trying to download a pdf file from the server, I am told it will not open in Numbers (the default program). My other option is Preview which will open it but when I try to save it, I cannot save it without putting in a password to unlock it. I have tried the site login, no go. I have tried my Mac login, no go. I have contacted the company who's site I am accessing, they have not put the lock on. Unfortunately, Adobe is not one of the programs I can use to open the file and it is not downloading onto my computer - at least not where I can find it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have an iMac 2.16 GHz, OS 10.6.6, Parallels 5 Vers. 5.0.9376

Mary

2. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Did discover I can choose an "other" option to open the file and put it into Adobe Reader which allows me to save as a pdf file. Obvious I know, but I actually have to save as pdf not just save as.

Still have the dilemma of how to change the default program for pdf files away from Numbers.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

To change the default application for any file type in Mac OS X:
    1. Select a file of the type to be changed
    2. Get Info on the file :)apple:+I or File -> Get Info)
    3. Open the Open With section, if it is collapsed.
    4. Choose the application from the list.
    5. Click the Change All... button, and confirm that you wish to do this.

4. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this still has not changed the default program for opening pdf files.
    If I click on a pdf file within the Finder it will open in Adobe. This default though is somehow connected to opening a pdf file when I am creating it out of a Windows program.

5. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Solved!!

The problem was in Windows. I had to go into Windows and change the program associated with the file. For some reason it had chosen Numbers as its default program. I changed it to Adobe and now it is working correctly. :D