PDF problems on Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peor, Aug 11, 2013.

1. peor macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

Pretty some people here have problems with PDF documents in Preview (and others) on Retina MBP. Lines of text gets distorted as user scrolls down. Examples:
    [​IMG]

Lines 2, 7, 10, 12 and 13 are somehow distorted. In its the second part lines 1 and 5.

[​IMG]

Lines 2, 7, 8 and 10 are distorted.

Is this a common thing on Retina MBP? How does it work for you? Thank you.

Cheers!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you realize that if your display is causing some level of distortion a screen grab of the PDF being displayed on my computer will not have that distortion. That is your physical computer is exhibiting the issue, a graphic file will not capture that issue. You'd need to take a picture of the screen with the PDF being displayed, rather then a screen grab

As for PDFs and rMBPs, my rMBP does not have this issue.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No such issue with my 13" rMBP either.....as Maflynn says, you need to grab the screen...if this is a persistent issue and not confined to one document in particular, then I'd be inclined to get Apple to take a look see.

4. peor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes of course I agree with you. Anyway distortions obviously do exist for these people who own Retina MBP. At this moment I don't own Retina MBP. And because I was considering getting one I was worried if this is common thing, no matter if it is software or hardware issue.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I stated, I have not heard of any issues with PDFs, so I don't think its a common problem. My advice is that if you decide to get one, and it exhibits the problem, take it back to apple.

6. peor thread starter macrumors newbie

13"

Thanks.

I forgot to mention in the first post that those people who wrote about those problems have 13" rMBP's.

7. mykem macrumors regular

I can see the various distortions on my iPad 4.

If the PDF is from a screen capture, then I would say the problem has to do with how the PDF was created and the type of compression it went through. As someone have pointed out, a screen capture should not capture any display glitches/distortions unless they are from the source itself- be it the file, encoding process or the video card.

Unlike text document (.doc/.md/.txt), PDF is encoded differently so that you can view various types of fonts regardless of whether those exist on your computer. Essentially, it suffers from the same types of artifacts that affects most image files.

8. peor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

Yes I agree with you. It might be the PDF fault as well. And what about if you try that PDF file on some other devices?

On the other hand user trball1 said: