Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
UK
After a clean install upgrade to Yosemite (MBA), Preview seems to be missing out several layers from our company PDFs (which were produced in Photoshop if that makes a difference.) It seems to be mainly text that is missing.

Anyone have this or had this before? A work colleague with a similar setup (MBA, Yosemite) has exactly the same problem.

Guessing this is a bug but it's very infuriating. Will try installing Adobe instead :(

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
How does it look in adobe's PDF viewer? You could open it in adobe and then print it as a PDF, which would make everyone one layer and simplify the formatting, while making everything look identical.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I can see problems. OS X PDF support is v1.3 (read: old), so lots of features will not be supported.

Bring up a terminal and execute: head -1 mypdffile.pdf

Should get a single line of output telling you what version of PDF the file is.

For example, a PDF generated by OS X print utility show up as: %PDF-1.3

I'm probably off base, but seem to recall that layering came after 1.3.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
UK
Thanks for the comments, Adobe Reader can view the PDFs properly. It's very annoying to lose the ability to see the layers as there was no problem with Mavericks and the same documents. In fact, some users here still have Mavericks and can view the same PDFs with no problem too.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
After a clean install upgrade to Yosemite (MBA), Preview seems to be missing out several layers from our company PDFs (which were produced in Photoshop if that makes a difference.) It seems to be mainly text that is missing.

Anyone have this or had this before? A work colleague with a similar setup (MBA, Yosemite) has exactly the same problem.

Guessing this is a bug but it's very infuriating. Will try installing Adobe instead :(

Preview is completely ruined in Yosemite. Working with multiple PDFs open at once, or working with large PDFs, makes my Mac almost unusable. This wasn't a problem with Mavericks. I really hope Apple gives Preview some TLC before the first update/bug fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.