PDF Reader similar to

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dobbs2, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

PDF Expert or even the iOS Drop box app.

I use PDF's quite a bit on my iPad, but I'm looking for the PDF reader closest to PDF Expert.

The feature I need most is quick search and chapters. I prefer the Dropbox iPad app, but have come to like the more robust PDF Expert. I can't seem to find the developer Readdle on anything, but the iOS app store they don't seem to make anything for the Mac app store.

2. onekerato macrumors regular

In Preview (the PDF reader built into Mac OS X) the shortcut for search is CMD F, and shortcut for showing the table of contents (i.e. chapters) is Option CMD 3. These commands are under the Edit menu and View menu respectively.

3. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I have used preview in the past before I bought my iPad. I honestly didn't know about the table of contents, but wouldn't you know your short cut and in the view tab its there. The only problem I had would be lots of beach balls when searching my huge medical books even with 16gb of ram. Have they improved that in Yosemite?

4. onekerato macrumors regular

Preview doesn't search across multiple PDFs. I use DevonThink for that i.e. managing collections of PDFs on disk, and indexing the folders using Devonthink. It's pretty fast search because DevonThink extracts the text inside the PDFs beforehand and indexes it for fast searches. Other PDF "library" apps where you can search across PDFs are ClearView, FingerPDF, Yep, Leap, and iDocument.