PDF reader that can highlight text

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Delighted, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

So far I have tried several apps on the ipad that can read PDF but strangely enough CAN NOT perform highlight on text. So either I don't know how to highlight text on a PDF(using these current apps) or I need to get another specific pdf reader that has the function. Please help.

Apps I've used: Kobo, iBooks, Adobe Reader, and Kindle.

2. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

3. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

It does, but I dont think it highlights text on PDF. Correct me if I'm wrong.

----------

Any free alternatives? :D

4. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

But not on a PDF.

OP, it's also going to depend on the PDF. Some PDFs are made from the app they're created in making text "readable" in other PDF apps. Other PDFs are created by scanning an image or document into a PDF. Therefore the text becomes more like an image instead of actual readable text.

I'm interested in this as well because my wife downloads PDFs every other day and has to read them and highlight manually for school. I don't think GoodReader highlights text on a pdf either.

5. deeddawg, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

PDF Expert.

Highlight, annotate, draw, etc. Dropbox integration as well.

I used it extensively in my MBA program with both scanned document PDFs and the "normal" PDFs. It would highlight stuff just fine in either case. It will retain the highlights and annotations as layers until you tell it to flatten the PDF (which I never needed to do).

With Dropbox sync, I just synced against the same class folders I had my macbook syncing against and it worked very smoothly.

$10 well spent.

6. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

The PDFs are readable text, I am able to highlight them through Preview on my mbp. Also I know they are readable because I made them, but that is a god point you brought up.

----------

I MAY consider this, just because you named some very impressive features. For now, I want to see if there are any free recommended alternatives, if not, PDF Experts sounds like the way to go.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

You get what you pay for. $10 is cheap compared to twenty minutes of frustration fighting with a free/cheap app.

Consider this: pay $10 and be done and happy. Spend a couple hours messing with others apps, getting frustrated, and in the end spending the same $10 that would have solved things in the beginning. Which makes more sense? :D

8. noteple, Apr 4, 2012

noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Highlights text for me.
    Underlines also

[​IMG]

9. jman240, Apr 4, 2012

jman240 macrumors 6502a

If you're going to spend $10 on an app maybe look at this one http://appshopper.com/productivity/pdfpen

The company gets great reviews and they make software for desktops so its an iPad port of an established app which can be good or bad depending on your preference.

It may also help to just look at the other apps purchased by users part of the iTunes store page for an app like this.

Also, I have good reader on my iPad, it works great for PDFs but the file management part has a slight learning curve.

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

GoodReader is by far the most capable PDF app for viewing and commenting, plus it has robust file storage capabilities for all file types. Any annotations you make in GoodReader are 100% compatible with Adobe Acrobat.

But the UI is much more complex than your typical iOS app. It will take a bit of time to learn, and there are a few quirks. That said, this app is indispensable to me for business use.

12. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm personally using Goodreader. It's making studying biochemistry so much easier for me - well worth the money IMO.

[​IMG]
    Click for full size

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am using GoodReader and agree completely about it's capabilities. But I really do not care much for the ugly, quirky interface.

15. stdwest macrumors member

I also use good reader and I love it. User interface has never been an issue so far.

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I also use PDF Expert. $10 well spent in my opinion.

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It's never been an issue as far as getting around, but it's not very iOS-ish. And not very attractive. But it is functional.

18. stdwest macrumors member

yeah, maybe not so attractive but it doesn't bother me. It's functional, that's for sure :)

19. ktmelvis macrumors member

20. doboy macrumors 68000

That brings back memory.

21. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Another one for GoobReader. I have it on my iPhone and iPad.

22. doboy macrumors 68000

Goodreader all the way! I also have ReaddleDocs, but use Goodreader much more often because it does pretty much everything and also have very good security.

23. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

Is that a PDF you are highlighting? If so, how did you get the side bar. I'm assuming you are using iBooks.

24. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Its a PDF manual Opened in Goodreader.
    The right sidebar is part of the program.