PDF reader

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tech198, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all

I know the iPad2 can view PDF's in safari, and from mail attachments, but how can I get PDF documents from my Mac over to the iPad, and read them outsize the browser?

Google reader for iPad or something else maybe?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

iBooks. If you need to mark up the pdf files then iAnnotate.

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Just drag your PDFs into iTunes, and make sure iTunes is configured to sync your books over. They will then available to view in iBooks.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iBooks is great for reading. Get GoodReader if you want to make notes.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I had heard a lot about GoodReader so I finally downloaded it to my iPad2 last week...all I can say is, how did I ever get along without this app! :D

6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Goodreader all the way. It's become my most invaluable app to date.

7. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

How many.?

How many are on display in iBooks?

Is there a second page, or is that it?

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

ibooks is pretty. it is also free. but, unpleasant if you deal with a lot of files. and, it lacks basic functions.

i regularly transfer hundreds of pdfs over to the ipad, and i bought the ipad expressly for the purpose of reading pdfs on it. i have tried a lot of pdf apps (mainly the ones with trial versions), and i am most impressed with goodreader. i use it every day for hours on end, and it has been well worth the price.

there are several ways to get things into it. the most basic one is this (see screenshot).

1) plug your ipad into your computer
    2) click on your ipad icon
    3) click on the app link at the top (third from the left)
    4) scroll down to the bottom
    5) click add files
    6) select your files

otherwise, at any point when you encounter a pdf on your ipad (safari, dropbox, etc.) you can click in the top right corner and send it to goodreader to read. very simple.

why goodreader? it handles pdfs really, really well. pretty much anything i want to do i can manage with it.

Attached Files:

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Use Goodreader and sync files with Dropbox. Nothing easier. I read and annotate with Goodreader.

10. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks.

Where do I get Google Reader? I searched the App Store as I read it was a separate app.

11. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Google Reader is a web app, visit this: reader.google.com

It's only used for reading RSS feeds, etc. Not for PDFs.

There are apps (I like MobileRSS) that give you a fantastic interface for Google Reader.

12. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

Also check Instapaper on AppStore , it will add to your news-reading experience.
    And since you look a new iPad owner you need to check flipboard and Zite

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

14. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Goodreader not google

15. Zeos macrumors 6502

16. gtmac macrumors 6502a

17. henryer macrumors newbie

Have a look at PDF to EPUB. You can read PDF eBooks on iPad.
    Very useful to retain the original text, layouts, images, and hyperlinks in the output EPUB eBooks.

18. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Download calibre it can convert PDF to ePub format for iBooks :) works great.

19. deeddawg macrumors 603

Seconded. Especially with sync to Dropbox as well as it's ability to serve as a Wifi drive for direct transfers to/from the ipad.

20. number84 macrumors 6502

+1. Just started using this combo and it's exactly what I was looking for.

21. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Good reader is really good.

For occasional use, fastest way is I email the PDF to me open it on good reader and save it

22. browninble macrumors newbie

I just checked, Goodreader will not let you type on a pdf. It will let you highlight, add notes, underline, strikethrough, etc.

23. Lagranger, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

Lagranger macrumors member

Actually, it will -- using what's known as the 'Typewriter' tool. The trick is that this feature will only appear in the annotation popup when you tap and hold on blank area of the PDF. (e.g. if you have text selected in the document, this option won't show up. In the popup, the tool resembles the letters 'abc' followed by a vertical insertion bar) However, this feature really seems designed to add labels and callouts to certain parts of a document (without having to wrap them in a popup note). As stated here and elsewhere, PDF is essentially a page-layout, read-only format. There isn't an easy way to edit the actual text in a PDF without regenerating it.

As an aside, as capable as GR is, PDF Expert has the best support for fillable forms at the moment. I don't believe it supports things like calculations, but if you need to deal with filling out Acrobat-generated PDF forms, this app is worth it.

OTOH, GoodReader has an incredibly useful 'hidden' feature -- the ability to transfer files between your documents folder on the device and your desktop Mac/PC over USB, *without* using iTunes. (google 'File Mangement with GoodReaderUSB' for more details). Unlike iTunes, this utility will let you see and work with the complete hierarchy of folders in your GR documents. It's a great way to send stuff to the iPad if the size (or amount) of files you want to transfer makes DropBox impractical.

As it happens, I use both GoodReader and PDF Expert quite a lot and often find myself round-tripping between them to get things done.

24. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, I type using Goodreader all the time. I don't think you can fill out a PDF form though.

25. fattire357 macrumors regular

One problem I have with PDF expert is that when I am reading books I like to be able to take notes in the sidelines.

Also the highlight feature, while I know they designed it this way, is weird in that it follows the contour of your highlight. It's like using a paintbrush in photoshop rather than having a perfectly auto-aligned rectangle.

Anyboyd know of a better program for these two concerns?