PDF Scanner Thoughts and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gceo, May 19, 2010.

1. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Hello,

Getting ready to purchase a PDF scanner, and just wanted to get any user's thoughts or recommendations for use on the Mac platform. We run OS 10.3-10.5 in the workplace, and have an ethernet network. Anybody have any experience or suggestions in acquiring a unit that plays well with Mac OS?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

PDF is not a good format for scanning. Nor is there a need to scan to PDF. Because any Mac app with the ability to print can print to PDF, a PDF version of any graphic is just a click away. Far and away, the best format for scanned images is TIFF. As any rate, you should look for a quality scanner that includes drivers that are compatible with your OS. I have a Canon. Buy a Canon scanner with Leopard-compatible drivers and you are set.

3. gceo thread starter macrumors 6502a

gceo

I was looking for a simple solution that would be easy for our "less technical" employees. I know there are some solutions out there that simply create a pdf for emailing and send it to the employee, or to a server. Basically I am looking for the easiest solution for an employee to scan and email a doc without having to go into a program like Photoshop or anything of that nature.

4. jbrettz macrumors member

I Have the ScanSanp 1500M. It is a Mac platform. Search these forums, macworld, apple insider forums, you will find positive feedback

I have done away with paper files, I scan everything into my scansnap. You have multiple choices to what program you can scan to. You can scan directly to email. It is a great machine, it beats Canon, HP, handsdown for scanning paper documents, receipts, etc.

Check this thread out on this forum for info on the scansnap

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=663929

brett

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is ScanSnap, not ScanSanp. The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M appears to be a very good sheet-fed scanner. Fujitsu has released a driver for MacOS X 10.6. The scanner's suggested retail price is $495. However, some outlets may offer it at a discount.