PDF Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pvellacott, Aug 22, 2007.

1. pvellacott macrumors newbie

I am wanting to create PDF's from a number of different files for sending contracts as one file so for example, I create a folder that has,

1 x Word Document
    3 x Excel Worksheets
    4 x JPEG's
    1 x PDF

What I want to do is combine the whole lot into one emailable PDF which I can ensure is not more than 2MB.

Can anyone advise on software that will do this easily without too much expense.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, Automator might be able to help you if you're running 10.4. Alternatively, you could export all the files to PDFs via their Print dialogue boxes and then use an app like CombinePDFs to, well, combine them all for free. :)

3. numlock macrumors 68000

If you are running tiger.

first of all you can save all these files as pdf´s either via the save option or print to pdf.

When you have saved all the files as pdf´s and you are happy with them. Name them in the order you want them to appear. So for instance a for the first page and b for the second etc.

Launch automator.

Create this workflow

Get selected Finder Items
    Sort Finder Items by name in ascending
    Combine PDF Pages
    Open Finder items with preview

Select the pdf files and run the automator workflow.

Preview will launch and from there you can save you newly created file

EDIT: As said above you could use combinepdfs but i think its more fun to do it yourself and mess around in automator

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ There isn't an easy way to make Automator let you spoonfeed the PDFs to it, is there (to avoid having to rename them, which seems cumbersome)?

It looks like CombinePDF isn't too bad. There're a couple of other similar ones, one called iMerge. None of them seem to do a graphical arrangement, which would be really nice for things like putting a fax together.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can drag and drop items to a workflow, keeping them in that order. :)

6. numlock macrumors 68000

well if you save them in the correct order as well you could let automator sort it by creation date. Might be easier.

pdfpenpro does include a graphical arrangement of the pages in the files but you obviously have to pay for that software. Wouldnt be suprised to se Skim include that feature soon

7. pvellacott thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry what does "run Automator" mean - is it a programme in Tiger....???

8. numlock macrumors 68000

Automator is a program in the applications folder on macs that have Tiger. Its useful for doing simple repetitive tasks

"Run" means for instance pressing the button called Run (top right hand corner of the window) when you have finished building your workflow

http://rapidshare.com/files/50549685/pdfcombiner-sortbyname.zip.html

If you have your pdf files ready and named in the order you want them to appear in the final pdf then you can select them all and drag and drop them on this little automator app

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can't drag them one at a time, can you (because the workflow will start when the first file is dropped)? So say you have six files, if you option click them one at a time, in the desired order, does Automator respect that order of clicking?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can literally put the Combine PDFs task into a workflow by itself and then drag and drop items above it to your heart's content. They should appear in a Get Selected Finder Items window/list.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I see what you mean now... actually doing it *in* Automator as opposed to just running the saved workflow. That makes sense. :)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, sorry mate. I'm too tired and should have explained it better. :eek:

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

my dissertation was made with the freeware app PDFLab. Worked great, ended up being over 300 pages with over 70 combined PDF's.

try that

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not at all... it just never occurred to me to actually use Automator that way! :eek:

This is the one I was trying to remember... it seems to be a frequent recommendation here.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

PDFLab is the best of the bunch, IMO. You can even add jpegs and other non-PDF files to the mix. I'd go so far as to say it's just about the most useful OSX utility I've ever seen.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In other words no Republican will ever use it? :eek: :D

Seriously, I do need to remember to download it. I don't really frequently want to mix down PDFs like this, but if I had it installed I might use it more and find I liked it. I think you had recommended it before in terms of compiling faxes, too, which, as I said, is the use that comes right to mind for me. :)

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i remember openoffice (freeware) has an independent pdf tool. you can open word file, insert excel, jpg, pdfs, and then generate a pdf file.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm still working on that joke...

I don't recall recommending it for compiling faxes, but I recommend this application so often I might well have. The only thing that bothers me about PDFLab is that I can't seem to make the watermark feature work. I've wanted to use it a couple of times, but no joy.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I was being silly. :eek:

I finally got around to actually playing with PDFLab this weekend... it's brilliant. Very, very nicely done. Only little minor things (you have to insert a file several times if you want to intersperse pages inside it, as far as I can tell, and no visual previews), but otherwise this software is amazing.