.PDF stuck in .EXE!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BerGaur, May 25, 2012.

1. BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur

I have got my hands on some repair manuals that might be very usful to me. Thus they are very important. My problem is that the images are inside of .EXE files, as if they are .EXEs. I booted up my Virtual Machine to look at them, and it looks like they are .PDFs embeded into .EXEs so they can be read without Adobe or to force someone to use a Windows, or something. How do I get the .PDFs out or convert the .EXEs to .PDF format, or...whatever. How do I read this in Mac? More imortantly, how do I get it onto my iPad so I can read it while I work on my car. I don't want to have to print them in order to use them.

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Are you sure these files are legitimate? Usually when you get an exe when you're expecting a pdf it means you've been rewarded with some kind of malicious file. If you take it to a.windows machine make sure your virus definitions are up to date....

3. BerGaur thread starter macrumors regular

BerGaur

Roast it...i dare you!

If this has a virus in it, and I wipes out my Windows...I couldn't care less. It will be a little anoying to delete it a make a new one on my VirtualBox, but that is all. That is why I love Macs. Thank you for the concern though.

I have found a long a tedious way of getting it done though. Aparently it is what is called an exe ebook. According to my reasearch so far, there is now way to extract the images quickly. I have found that if I copy, which I can, then paste in "Paint" I can save the images as .JPEGs and then use them to create a .PDF. That is what I am doing now, but there are a lot of books, I will be at it for a while.

So, if my research is wrong, and there is a way to do it quicker, please! some one tell me.

Thank you.

and once again...thank you for the thought...viruses were my last straw with windows. Now I love Mac.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try dragging it onto Preview and see whether it opens. Also try dragging onto StuffIt Expander if you have that.

5. BerGaur thread starter macrumors regular

BerGaur

StuffIt Expander. I have never heard of that. Thank you. I will try Prevew first, because I have never heard of the Expander.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

usually exe of pdf are viruses...
    would you mind linking one of your pdfexe to try to help you better?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm not saying they aren't but some really old windows PDF's were .exe files.

I'm talking windows 95 or earlier.

8. BerGaur thread starter macrumors regular

BerGaur

I can try with Dropbox. But I might not be able to right now. I am on my tablet, I might need to do it on my computer.