PDF to Excel table in Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LAS.mac, Jun 8, 2010.

1. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I wonder if I can get rid of Adobe Acrobat. One of the uses I often do, is open a pdf which contain a numeric data table (say, 5 columns with 10 or more rows), copy the whole table, and with right click in Acrobat I can either open the table in Excel, or save it a .csv file that can e later imported in Excel or numbers.

So, I wonder if I can do that directly with Preview; or maybe if there is an Automator script to do that?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! No, you cannot do that directly in Preview. Automator will not help you. It is a scripting app. The only Apple-branded application that will open [some] Excel files is Numbers.

3. LAS.mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to open Excel files in Preview. I want to export column and row numbers FROM a PDF, to be opened into Excel or Numbers. So select the data table in Preview and either copy of Ctrl+Click or something else, to be able to open as table elsewhere, or export. That's a function available in Adobe Acrobat since some versions ago.
    I can actually, from Previe, copy a data table; and past it into Excel or numbers. however, it pastes each row joining together all the numbers in different columns.
    I was wondering of Automator, maybe some script could be done to do that?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Well, you most certainly can't do that in Preview. Preview is neither a spreadsheet nor a text editor. It is theoretically possible to automate Adobe Acrobat Pro to do what you want. However, your PDF would have to be in a standard layout. Otherwise, it would be a colossal PITA. My recommendation to you is to keep Acrobat Pro and use it to convert your PDF files to .doc or .rtf.