PDF to Print Problem in Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by chuanist, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chuanist, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

chuanist macrumors newbie

chuanist

If anyone is seeing jaggy type outlines in so-called 'print ready' PDF output here is the fix:

Instead of trying to access print options or using the Adobe PDF printer (which no long works in S.L.) it is now necessary to either export or save the file as an .eps, or .ps if your software gives that option, and run Adobe Distiller to convert the file to a .pdf.

This is the old-fashioned pre-OS X way to make PDF's. Distiller has been accessed from behind the user interface ... until Snow Leopard, which breaks some element in the chain. In fact, if you try to print with the Adobe PDF printer, most of the time a blank page will be the result!

I just went through production hell with my service bureau because my type outlines were rough and pixellated, even though I had defined raster output at 300 d.p.i. Even converting the text to outlines did not result in smooth-looking output. What is worse, viewing at up to 200% scale did not reveal the problem. So I sent the files to the service bureau with full confidence and did not learn there was a problem until the following day. I re-output (is this a word?) the file at 300 d.p.i. and thought I was home free. Then another e-mail from the printer told me otherwise. It has taken me two days to sort this out and I missed a deadline during that time.

Saving to .eps and using Distiller is the only way I was able to produce something useful.

Thanks Apple, for the time-wasting curveball that arrived on my system without notice of any kind.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You could do all that or you could simply embed your fonts.