PDF Viewer in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TimJim, Jan 7, 2008.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I recently installed Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and anytime i view a PDF file in Safari, it asks what application to use, and after i select Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional it takes a minute to load.

How can i make Safari read PDF's the default way but PDF files on my hard drive through Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

I can't remember offhand, but I believe there's a plugin installed somewhere in the /Library/Internet Plugins/. If not, keep checking around that library folder for 'adobe' and 'pdf' in a filename

3. chem macrumors regular

4. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

In /Library/Internet Plug-Ins, just yank out the Adobe PDF plugin and restart Safari. (Might need to reboot, but I doubt it)

Edit: I'm an idiot. mnkeybsness already answered.

5. RipIt macrumors newbie

Oh Sweeet!

Disabling the pdf plugin for Safari didnt stop the browser from opening the pdf file but what it did do was give me a much better tool to navigate the pdf.

A zoom function, a choice to view in Preview and a download choice.

See bottom of image

[​IMG]

6. timdiller macrumors newbie

Use the Acrobat Preferences

There should be an item in the Acrobat preference pane to turn off acrobat reader for web browsers. The category is "Internet" and the option is "Display PDF in browser using: ..." Uncheck that box and restart your browser. Safari will use its own PDF viewer.