PDF Viewer problem

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hkaraman, Apr 1, 2011.

1. hkaraman, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

hkaraman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a PDF that I genereated using Adobe Acrobat Professional which have textboxes to get information and submit button to post data to database. It runs on a webserver and works great on windows and ie, netscape and etc..., when the page is loaded browser loads the pdfviewer shows file as expected but functionality is not there. Submit button on IPAD's PDF viewer does not show up at all as the main problem.
    Anyone have a solution to this, will be great if the web app works on IPAD.

Thanks

2. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

You're dependent on the iPad's ability to process PDF forms - which is very poor, as you've discovered. Some standalone apps have this functionality (e.g. PDF Expert) but that doesn't help you with respect to your web app. I assume you are using Mobile Safari - possibly you might have more luck with one of the third party browsers like iCab or Atomic but to be honest I think they handle PDFs the same as Safari does.

Personally I would drop the PDF forms from the mobile version of your web app and just use normal HTML forms with PHP to handle the database submissions.

3. hkaraman thread starter macrumors newbie

ZilogZ,

Thanks for the insight. You are right, I am unable to see even the textbox, let alone scripts that run under them. I guess I will have to live with not being able to run the app on the Ipad.

4. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried using PDf Expert? I have a bunch of similar PDFs that I was struggling with until I downloaded that - worth a go.

5. hkaraman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks franmatt80, I should give it a try and let you know how it goes!