PDF Viewer

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by greens4245, Dec 2, 2007.

1. greens4245 macrumors member

I just installed the pdf view. It says to place pdf files in /var/root/media/pdf . How do I do this. I figured I could just go to "My computer" and load it onto my ipod, but the ipod drive doesn't show? Any suggestions?

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

You need to use an SFTP thing-a-ma-bobber (that's the scientific term, thinga majiguris). Depending on what system you use-- Apple or Windows-- you would use __(insert Apple one here, something to do with Quacking or a Duck?)__ or WinSCP. Open up the client (after jailbreaking) and put in your iPod's IP Address (you must be on a Wi-Fi network) that you can find by hitting the blue arrow on your iPod's Wi-Fi Settings. Once that's in, type in "root" for user and "alpine" for password. There should be a bunch of folders on your left (your computer) and a bunch on the right (your iPod). click the up arrow or ellipsis (...) on your iPod's side a few times to make sure you are on the homepage, then click on the names you just said for the directory. Find the folder in your computer (the left side) where you have the files, and drag and drop them to copy them onto your iPod.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, I truly am.

3. greens4245 thread starter macrumors member

password

I put root and alpine as the password and I'm having no luck. Do I want to enter my router address or IP address? I have tried both with no luck.

4. greens4245 thread starter macrumors member

greens4245

This is the reading I get

*** CuteFTP 8.0 - build May 31 2007 ***

STATUS:> [12/3/2007 1:40:26 AM] Connecting to FTP server... 192.168.1.64:21 (ip = 192.168.1.64)...
    STATUS:> [12/3/2007 1:40:26 AM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
    ERROR:> [12/3/2007 1:40:27 AM] Can't read from control socket. Socket error = #10054.

5. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Once your iPod is connected to your network, go into Settings the click on the Wi-Fi button. Once it finds the network, click on the blue arrow to the right of the network and type in that IP Address.

6. greens4245 thread starter macrumors member

Still no luck. I'm typing in the exact ip, I use root and alpine. Still I get the same results.

7. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

From the log it looks like you are trying to connect to FTP (hence the :21 at the end of the IP). The iPod touch doesn't have FTP, it has SFTP which is totally different, it is part of the SSH server.

Not sure if CuteFTP allows you to connect to SFTP servers, if not try WinSCP

8. greens4245 thread starter macrumors member

Downloaded winscp. Any suggestions in logging in with this?

9. Anderzander macrumors member

I use the pdf viewer a lot! I hope it gets an update before too long. :)