PDF Viewing in Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rahsten, May 29, 2007.

1. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

How can I view PDFs in Firefox like with Safari. I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.11 and Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.8. I read somewhere that I should uninstall Acrobat, reinstall it and it will work (something to do with plugin not being installed) Anyways, I tried that and it didn't work. When I type about:plugins into the Firefox URL bar it does not list Acrobat at all.

Any quick fixes or suggestions...other than 'just use safari', lol.:)

Thanks.

2. skwij macrumors 6502

I would definately upgrade to Firefox 2.0. Even better would be 2.0.0.3. I believe this capability is built-in to the newer versions of FFx.

(and yes, 2.0.0.3 runs just fine on both my Macs, after some flash problems with 2.0 initially).

You can find the latest version Here

3. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Thanks, I upgraded to Firefox 2.0.0.4 but the PDFs still don't open in the browser, no big deal I guess...just convenient if I could.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I too would like this to work in Firefox. It is the one thing that I miss from Safari. Anyone know if it is possible?

5. ardent11 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if this functionality is planned for Firefox? Or is there a plug-in which will give us this ability.

On windows Firefox opens PDF's beautifully.

6. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

There is no plugin or any support for PDFs opening up in firefox for intel macs...it breaks my heart. There is that schubert pdf plugin for PPC machines though.

I really wish support for this would come. PDFs open up fine in safari, but then my problem is that Safari doesn't have mouse gestures. Talk about your catch-22s.

7. polycat33 macrumors 6502

There's a plugin on the Firefox page that says it's for viewing PDF's in the browser but it's just a download for adobe reader, I was bummed. I wonder when there will be a plugin for intel?

8. schalliol macrumors regular

I agree that its silly to have to download and open PDFs in another viewer. I've decided to finally switch from Safari to FireFox and find this frustrating, as PDFs are so prevalent. After a session of browsing, I end up with a stack of PDFs in my download folder.