PDF Viewing in Safari: Why Does it Suck?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HiRez, Aug 6, 2008.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

What is the deal with viewing PDF files inside of Safari? It take a long, long LOOOONG time to load up the viewer, I'm talking about over a minute in most cases, even for a small PDF. Now this is with a very fast internet connection, and I get the same thing on a dual core Intel MacBook Pro, a quad core Mac Pro, and an Octocore Mac Pro. All are running the Leopard 10.5.4 with Safari 3.1.2. There is no disk activity during this load period, and no network access for the majority of it. In fact I can manually download one of the example PDFs, and launch it in Preview in under 5 seconds.

This has to be a bug and I can't believe no one seems to care about it, or that Apple hasn't noticed.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because Safari sucks and you should shouldn't using it to view PDFs :p

Seriously though, you should just open everything with Preview.

3. HiRez thread starter macrumors 603

HiRez

Well I do except when I accidentally just click on a PDF link, I'm just wondering why it could possibly be so bad. The other thing I forgot to mention is there is almost no CPU activity during this load period, Safari is just sitting there are about 1%, which is pretty much its idle state. So no CPU activity, no disk activity, no network activity. Plenty of available RAM. Spinning beach ball. What could it possibly be doing??