PDFs and the ipod touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by coopdig, Feb 28, 2008.

1. coopdig macrumors member

Hi!
    I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy an ipod touch. I'm a student, and one of the things I would really like to be able to do on it is to read PDF files, as a lot of my course readings are sent out in that form.
    Now, I know that the ipod touch doesn't have a disk mode (right?). BUT--I also know that iTunes can have PDFs placed in its library alongside music (just drag the into the library, just like mp3s, and they show up in the library). My question for those of you with a touch already: Can you load pdfs from itunes onto an ipod touch, and can you read them from there? Or is there some other way to read pdfs on a touch?

Also, on another note--please speculate for me! When will we see the 2nd gen of the ipod touch, and how might it change? (I assume it we won't see anything until at least the summer. I'm really just wondering if I should hold out here, and hold onto my tax credit for the purchase.)

Thanks!

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

To your first response, the best way to view PDF is to email it to yourself, load it online, and then it work offline if you have downloaded it and save the email (opened it) on your iPod touch. This goes for .docs, .xls, and .ppt as well. There is a native word "reader" in there, but you can't edit them. And no, using iTunes to do it isn't going to work because the iPod doesn't have a native way of accessing them (it will just ignore them in there). SDK should bring some sort of way to access the disk...actually that may not be true with how Apple may "put the choke" on applications, as the recent rumors claim.

To your second thing, there have been numerous speculations but many link to a more likely iPhone revision in Juneish time along side an SDK release..but I think the iTouch won't see much change for a little while. So time to buy is ripe.

But, we have been blindsighted several times lately, so who knows it could be this summer...but I doubt within the next MONTH.

3. JAT macrumors 603

There are, of course, reader apps for a jailbroken Touch. But you have to know how to work everything. Getting files on the Touch is done a different way from getting apps on it.

4. BassistKing1 macrumors member

theres a notes app. lol.

for ur second question, honestly, no one knows (except apple). and i doubt it will be in the summer, it wont even be a year since the first gen came out. also, people have been saying that since apple introduced the new 32gb size, they might drop the 8gb and reduce prices, but just like i said before, only apple knows.