PDF's don't display properly in SL Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petisjioweelsha, Mar 29, 2012.

1. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

So these PDF's don't seem to display properly in Preview 5.0.3 on Snow Leopard. Why would that be?

Can anyone test to see if they work with 10.7.x's Preview?

User Manuals at Avast support site:
    http://www.avast.com/download-documentation

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've seen this happen occasionally with some pdf files. For ones that do this, use Adobe Reader, rather than Preview. On another note, why are you looking at that particular site? You don't need such antivirus apps for Mac OS X.

3. simsaladimbamba

Useless software begets useless manuals, in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

But that was the first that badly "formatted" PDF I came upon in the last fifteen years.

4. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

On my SL machine they are not just badly formatted, it is total gibberish-except for a few screen cap images. The rest is black/grey/yellow boxes and bars.

5. simsaladimbamba

It is that way for me too, in 10.6 and 10.7. Why I don't know, ask the makers of that manual. Or download it and try Adobe PDF Reader as Mister GGJstudios recommended.

6. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for confirming the issue.

I am overly sensitive to 'Mac marginalization' issues. :(

7. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean with that?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't address my question about why you're looking at antivirus.

9. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

When something that works on other platforms does not work properly on the Mac.

10. simsaladimbamba

It is the fault of the maker of that PDF, as it does not comply to all the specifications all the other thousands of PDFs I have opened via Preview. It is not the fault of the OS, if the maker of the PDF doesn't know **** about making proper PDFs.

But I guess you want to read the PDF to help you with a Windows PC or the Windows partition / virtual machine and malware protection?

Because you don't need malware protection in Mac OS X, especially one that is only made for Windows.

11. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

I'm well versed in your litany. :rolleyes: I'm not even going to go there in this thread.

p.s. the PDF manuals in question were for the Windows version...
    Or, am I not allowed to even visit an anti-virus vendor that also offers Mac software? ;)

12. simsaladimbamba

Of course you are. It was just curiosity. Cats and such. Spinach cats to be exact.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one said anything about you being "allowed" to do anything. It was simply a question, based on years of responding to questions by those who mistakenly think such apps are necessary on Macs. You also didn't specify which particular manuals you were looking at, and since Avast offers a Mac version, it was a legitimate question.

14. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

I agree.
    But, like I said, I am hyper-sensitive to it.:eek:

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This problem is common in PDFs generated using Microsoft Windows-based software. The manuals were generated using Microsoft's PDF facility within Microsoft Word 2007. However, I opened the manuals in Adobe Acrobat Pro. They are manuals for Windows software. There is nothing there for a Mac user to read.

Avast has a beta of its forthcoming free Mac antivirus utility. My recommendation is that you lace-up your track shoes and run from Avast as quickly as possible.

16. petisjioweelsha thread starter macrumors member

Hey!
    That is how I spend all my Thursday nights. :p