PDFs in Preview!!!!

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
Most PDFs I view in preview will not render/print properly??
A lot of the text will show as sqaure boxes!
this is really frustrating, and i have no idea how to fix....

i also get the same thing when creating PDFs?

how can i fix this?
does anyone else have the same problem?
I am running TIGER 10.4.1, preview 3.01

please help....
:confused:

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
preview never seemed to do everything just right. Maybe that's why they called it preview, so you could look it over real quick before opening it in a real app. With that in mind, download a free version of adobe's pdf viewer and you should be fine

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Post a PDF file (that doesn't render correctly) and some screenshots of how the fonts look.

We will be able to help out more.

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
OK,
Ive attached a screenshot of part of an offending PDF that wont render:
I havnt added the PDF as it has personal details in it.....

Attachments

ibookowner2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
I had the same problem so I just downloaded adobe reader 7 and it worked like a charm.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
The small boxes are what the system does when it doesn't have a font or character that the file is asking for.

Usually this isn't an issue with PDFs as the fonts can be embedded within the document... but sadly, with all the different ways people are making PDFs these days, many times fonts aren't embedded (which is another way of saying that the author assumes you have all the same fonts they have).

The document that you posted is a good example... it has no creator/producer tags on it so it wasn't made with Acrobat (or any other Adobe product), PStill or Mac OS X (all of which would identify themselves in those tags).

By the way, all the characters seem to show up on my system in Preview just fine.

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
is there a way to make all the unavailable fonts use a preset default font - so i can still view the document properly?

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I have had no problems in Panther or Tiger.
I regularly open pdf's from Qantas... and no problems here... so not sure what is going on for you?

Implies system default font recognition problem almost - if there is such a thing in OS X

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
BollywooD said:
Ive found another example:

Preview worked fine under Panther 10.3.9
I only started having problems after upgrading to TIGER??
:confused:
You uninstalled some fonts when you did the upgrade. The PDF seems to display fine on my computer with MacOS X 10.4.1 installed.