pdisk for intel version?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jcpenn, May 26, 2009.

1. jcpenn macrumors member

I am trying to recreate partition map for one of my firewire drive that has partition or directory information lost. I used testdisk to find partition information, start and end point, and it asked me to re-create same partition by using pdisk, problem is when I use pdisk, it said it does not support Intel mac, and always gave me:

Error message: No valid block 1 on '/dev/rdisk0'

All my partitions are HFS+

I guess I need a tool that works for Intel mac not ppc to recreate partition?

please help.

2. jcpenn thread starter macrumors member

ok, I managed to find out fdisk - is probably pdisk version in Intel Mac, but somehow, I cannot use fdisk -l to retrieve drive list... there is no -l in param... how can i see the drive list?? I could use pdisk -l.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why are you going all around Job's barn? Just use Disk Utility.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

disk utility won't show jack if your partition table is fubar.

fdisk -l is the correct command, but again, if you've zapped the partition table, it won't show anything.

i have done what you are attempting to do before, but for the life of me i can't remember exactly how i did it and it was in 2007 with the first intel builds. googling should turn up enough information...

[edit] actually it was 2006. how time escapes.

a quick search indicates that i made use of the tools Testdisk and PTedit

you haven't fully explained your situation, but if your disk was a single partition, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the correct numbers, create a blank partition and change the partition type to AF.

will try to help as i can.