Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
He banked tho. He had tons of sales and his app was the most expensive. It will be useless soon since it's not being updated. Waste of 3 bucks

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
already requested a refund for this..he gives a link with cancellation instructions in his blog but still..release an app, bank, and then pull it 2 days later? pretty shady if you ask me. i understand the reasoning (feeling guilty) about it but hard to imagine he didn't feel the same before he put it on the appstore.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
already requested a refund for this..he gives a link with cancellation instructions in his blog but still..release an app, bank, and then pull it 2 days later? pretty shady if you ask me. i understand the reasoning (feeling guilty) about it but hard to imagine he didn't feel the same before he put it on the appstore.
While I understand how he feels he should have thought this through. I'm a fan of his work and for the most part I like him. However he has a history of back pedaling when his blog posts get too much attention. Either have a backbone and stick by what you say, or shut up and live in peace. Same thing here. You made a decision, stick with it. Or you should not have built this ad blocker to begin with.

Reactions: ECJ and Eau Rouge

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
He gave the source code to Ghostery*. We could spam, I mean send emails to Ghostery to request an app.

* He said it on Twitter.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Bummer. I heard great things about this and how Ghostery is amazing. I ended up buying Crystal but I can't lie, I am curious on how good this app was. Now I'll never know :(

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Too bad. Peace is the only app I know that offers Safari View Controller share sheet extension. I will use one of few freebies until the next winner emerges.

Reactions: nathanalf

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Too bad. Peace is the only app I know that offers Safari View Controller share sheet extension. I will use one of few freebies until the next winner emerges.

Silly question but what exactly is it/does it do?

sliderbot

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
I think this could have easily been solved by adding the ability to allow certain trackers/adds through instead of having to manually enter the web address. I just block trackers/ads on a case by case basis in chrome.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Which freebies are there?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Silly question but what exactly is it/does it do?
Share extensions were added on iOS 8. Apps that added support for extensions allow users to send contents to other apps. For instance in Tweetbot, I can long click on the URL to trigger share sheet and send it to Peace. In turn, Peace app opens the webpage within the app that triggered it, via iOS 9's new Safari View Controller.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
so what's the best one out there right now? paid or free...

I'm quite content with Crystal (0,99) at the moment. Granted, it doesn't offer the customization that some others do in regards to features like whitelisting etc., but it works great and I've yet to encounter a site that needed reporting because ads were showing or the site didn't work because of the blocker.

Do some window-shopping, there are quite a few out there already. Personally I've heard good things about Blockr and Purify in addition to Crystal.

deeznuts

macrumors member
May 27, 2015
so what's the best one out there right now? paid or free...
Best option would be, get a refund from Peace in the app store & purchase Purify, its boss compared to the others. I have it, worth it. Blocks all these other sponsored ads on yahoo.com & theverge.com. You won't be disappointed.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I see crystal has good reviews so i'm guessing it is good.

my question is does it work for anything other then Safari? I have apps (ok just one "Cracked") that open up the app store automatically while just being on the app.

You can use WeBlock to block in-app ads (among others) while in Wifi. I'm using with Crystal and I don't see ads. VERY useful.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Using Crystal and even if it isn't perfect it is so much better than nothing. I got while free. If I had to pay I'd probably suffer for a while longer and see which one seems better to people over a few weeks.
I understand what he is saying but ads on web site have gotten way, way too bad. It used to be 1 ad per page maybe and now there are site that have more ads then content and the new models force you to go to new pages (with new ads) for everything you want to read.

Sorry advertisers ruined the experience and now they have to pay. Before and even on other apps with ads - I refuse to click through even if, and very rare, I see something that might interest me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.