Peace app removed

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by IBMJunkman, Sep 26, 2015.

1. IBMJunkman macrumors member

IBMJunkman

Author has removed app from store. Apple sent me email saying refund is coming.

Will the app be automatically removed from my iPad Air 2?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't believe so. You will be able to use it but, it won't ever be updated.

If you like the app, I would make a backup of it. That way, if you have to reinstall your OS and want it back on there, you will be able to.

3. Razeus macrumors 601

4. Mactaculious macrumors regular

Moral issues

5. IBMJunkman thread starter macrumors member

IBMJunkman

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The email you got specifically says:
    "The app will remain available in your Purchases page on your iTunes account."

7. IBMJunkman thread starter macrumors member

IBMJunkman

Saw words removed and refund. Did not pay attention after that. :)

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

And Apple can remove previous purchases from the store any time they want. They do it with songs and movies.

While the store is handy for downloading previous purchases, I always make a backup. That way, I don't have to hope my purchases stay in the store.

9. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

If the app will never be updated why would you keep it? You'll never get updated blacklists.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Marco Arment has said the lists will be updated for some undetermined time. I don't expect it will be updated for too long as maintaining it does have a cost.

11. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Good on him. Although, Was this before or after Apple decided to proactively refund everyone? Because since Apple decided to refund everyone I assume that means he should feel no obligations to maintain the list. There are many alternatives out there it would be better to move on.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

It was after he knew about the mass refund, according to what he said on the Accidental Tech Podcast. He left it rather open ended as to what he'd do but I hope he would mention something on Twitter when he opts to kill it off, although he's under no obligation to do so.

13. ArmCortexA8, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I dug up some interesting info regarding this guy - below:-

The ad blocker called Peace was made by Marco Arment. He made over $110,000 and pulled the app after 2 days – suffering what appears to be ad remorse. To make things even more interesting, his Twitter account indicates he wants to give away this software to company operating the other blocker called Ghostery. Now why would someone put all this work and finance into an application and pull it 2 days later, then give away the software to a competing company? Sounds to me like the ad industry got to him. This seems very strange that’s for sure.

14. chrfr macrumors 603

15. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

16. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Ghostery isn't competition. They have no iOS presence, and their primary business model is working with companies and their websites, not end-users and web surfers. Peace licensed Ghostery's advertisment/tracker database. Peace's competition would've been Purify, Crystal, Adamant, 1Blocker, Blockr, etc.

17. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not the competition. Marco made a financial arrangement with Ghostery to use their database. Without Ghostery, the app wouldn't work. It's logical that he give the app to them after he pulled it since it can't work without Ghostery.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/peace-app-experiment-scott-meyer

18. jack 011 macrumors member

jack 011