Peace Walker

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My copy arrived this morning.

It's outstanding.

The controls aren't great and they take some getting used to (started off with the Monster Hunter type, but the camera is impossible to control with that). Action has the L-button to snap the camera forward which is nice. But yea. The game. It's brilliant. The story is really well done for a MGS too, it's not too convoluted and from what I hear it stays that way too.
    The graphics are superb, better than stuff like Dissidia or Monster Hunter which is a feat in itself!

Protip: wear headphones. Proper chunky style headphones. The sound and music in this is such high quality.

Anyone else playing?

2. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

Well for me the controls are really great. I played the demo. Im waiting for my copy to arrive. For me Peace walker is a reason to buy the PSP if you don't have one. :)

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Which control setting are you using? I was okay with Action up until the first side mission but you can't walk+aim.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Some days... some days I just feel ashamed of this board and the people on it :(.

Peacewalker guys. I took this game (and around 20 other newly bought titles) on holiday with me and it's all I played. It's better than MGS4, better than any other game in the series. I can't fault this... usually in these games the story gets a bit boring at points but with Extra Ops you can just carry on going. Or so I found! It's a bit annoying having a boss fight every 1-2 levels but they are mighty good boss fights, they really have an epic, almost SotC feel to them. The micromanagement of your base is really well done too, at first I thought it was something I would just avoid but the way in which you're introduced to each aspect to it really gets quite addictive. I've replayed so many missions just to add to the staff, to upgrade weapons or waiting for Dispatched teams to return. I can only imagine how brilliant multiplayer is.

Perfect formula. Want more. If more PSP games had Peacewalker-levels of quality then... well I'd have a lot more games to play!

(the controls grew on me around the 30th hour mark. Auto Aim does wonders on the combat levels)

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Hmm....it looks interesting, but given my history with MGS games, I'm reluctant to spend the money.

I played MGS1 for a little bit when it first came out. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't manage to hold my interest.

I have no experience with MGS2.

I bought MGS3 Subsistence after hearing so much about it. I tried to get into it...twice...but it just felt way too corny for me. I didn't hate it, but I thought it was fairly obnoxious.

I decided NOT to buy MGS4 after learning about the cutscene/gameplay ratio. I tried the demo, and it was...alright.

Does it seem like Peace Walker would be a good buy for me?

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely. It's condensed down MGS with the best bits of all of them, and a really well done management system (Mother Base). The story isn't too absurd either... sure it's unrealistic but it's not crazymad like the other games. Bosses take the forms of vehicles/weapons rather than psychic or topless soldiers.

Every mission has a cutscene or 2 but they're short and to the point, some are interactive too and feel more like minigames (especially the horse one).