'Peanuts in Space' Short Coming to Apple TV App in May

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Elyzien macrumors member

Elyzien

Fake news! We all know the "Earth" is flat!!!!

2. RudySnow, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

Charles M. Schulz is rolling in his grave right now.

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’ve always hated Charlie Brown and the peanuts thing...

4. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Good parents make their kids watch peanuts.

5. DogHouseDub macrumors 6502

DogHouseDub

No honey, PEANUTS, I said I'm looking at PEANUTS on my phone

6. sinsin07, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

sinsin07 macrumors 68040

The take away here...you're too old.
    (Your avatar from 1964 doesn't help ;))
    You're cynicism is a sure sign.
    So what.
    It's not for the old fogeys.
    Kids still buy Jordan's who weren't even born when he was playing.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2019 ---
    Yeah... You definitely missed something.

Schulz family gains control of Peanuts gang
    "The deal will give Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus and Lucy more presence on new media platforms, including fan websites, she said."
    How the Schulz family made 'The Peanuts Movie' a reality
    "Craig Schulz’s son the screenwriter found a way to get unstuck while writing or re-writing the script. “If you needed inspiration,” Bryan Schulz said, “you go back and look at the old strips Grandpa had done.”"

7. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

Space is useful, and it's good that more educational content about space is being made, but I gotta tell ya...

Space is a terrible place to go. You talk to everyone who's gone and most stories they tell you make you glad that they went and you didn't.

The one novel thing about space is 0G. But you know what? You don't have to go to space to experience that - there are airplanes you can rent that will do that for you without crossing the Kármán line.

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

So said the naysayers of the 15th century.

Yeah, it's pretty clear the people that fly space missions are in it just for the Zero G. /S

If you've never been to space you should stop here.
    If you've have been to space please share what mission(s) you flew.

9. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

To the writer of this story, it's "Schulz", not "Schultz"!

Love Peanuts, dislike the kids' greed (Schulz permitted very few commercial uses of his characters--Met Life being a major exception), but thought the panel shown here of the characters as astronauts was quite cute.

Given Ron Howard's involvement, and even the family's concern for faithful renderings of the characters, the new production will be in good hands.

Should be fun!

10. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

World famous and top secret.

This quote says it all about the intelligence and reasoning abilities of Apple's current senior management team.

11. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Please could someone explain why it’s called ‘Peanuts’? I’ve always just referred to ‘Snoopy’ - maybe that’s a colloquialism or from not being in the USA?

12. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I’ve lived in Australia and the UK and always known it as “Snoopy”. “Peanuts” was the name of the comic (featuring Snoopy, Charlie, Linus and Lucy).

13. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I have fond memories of Peanuts as a child. I hope this doesn't ruin those memories.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2019 ---
    Growing up, I called it Snoopy as well and so did all the other kids I knew.

14. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Culture corpses are dug up and kicked about. Apple: cutting edge like a bowling ball.

Why not "Hamlet In Space"??

15. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Yeah, the ignorance here in this thread is incredible. The newer series, "Peanuts by Schultz", which were little shorts based on the comics are incredibly popular. My six year old daughter loves them and, as far as I can tell, she discovered Peanuts on her own a couple of years ago.

The Peanuts Movie in 2015 did very well. I'm sure a new movie will be on the horizon.

Off-broadway productions of things like A Charlie Brown Christmas continue to sell out venues.

Science history interwoven with that said history's own pop-culture reference in the module names? That's a pure win to help young kids stay interested in science. TV's Ron Howard at the helm? It'll be great.

Ol' Snoopy is still a beloved character and the rich history of content is exponentially better than most children's shows today. I love this free documentary-ish production Apple is giving us.

16. calstanford Suspended

That's exactly what I expect Apple's TV/Movies enterprise to be. Lowest common denominator.

17. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I can see myself doing the same thing I did with Apple news...start the free trial and cancel especially with this boring cartoon from the last century being one of their main offerings.

18. mannyvel macrumors member

The world has moved on from Peanuts. They're an artifact of a different time. That's not to say they can't be made relevant again, like how the Marvel universe got remade. But the characters as they were? That's a loser.

Tom & Jerry? Bugs and company? They've gone the way of the three stooges, abbot and costello, and the little rascals. The world has changed, and how kids watch TV has changed. Warmed up boomer and GenX nostalgia won't bring them back.

19. mijail macrumors 6502a

And to think that some consider that Peanuts was dead already in the 70's, no-thanks to Snoopy:
    http://www.nypress.com/against-snoopy/

(And I totally agree, even as a 80's kid I quickly got tired of everything Snoopy. I have to check sometime the first years of Peanuts...)

20. daio macrumors regular

daio

Quite possibly the most unfunny series of comics ever.

21. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Why not, indeed?

Shakespeare's plays have always been mined for contemporary entertainment, just as Shakespeare himself mined old literature for his own plays.

22. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

*checks Wikipedia in disbelief*

Wow, can’t believe I’ve been getting it wrong all these years! Who says you can’t learn things in the MR comment section?!

23. BrettArchibald macrumors member

BrettArchibald

Yes, you have missed something. Charles Schulz was referring to the newspaper comic strip. You wrote out that point several times yourself in your own comment. The comic strip will never be continued or drawn by anyone else.

24. mimeArtist macrumors regular

Snoopy and Peanuts are massive at the moment in popular culture and fashion, my 9 year old loves it too. So I don't think it's just for people that experienced it the first time around. Remember their is life outside these forums and people can like different things.

25. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

This is great news! Apple needs more cartoons like this and should stop allowing itself to be distracted by siren calls for better computers. Now that their industrial design team is breaking up, they'll be able to concentrate better on emojis, too.