Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Will they add this support soon or is there any way to get it to work now? My campus uses PEAP and it would suck if I couldn't use it.

robemich

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
I hope this thread gets hot today when people get to work and realize they need something other than a WEP key to connect to their enterprise WIFI.

If anyone has any experience with the WIFI security other than 40bit or 128bit static WEP, please post some details and possibly screenshots to this thread.

-mike

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I realize this is something Apple can include in a software update, and hopefully they'll do it before the school year starts (as I'm assuming a lot of college students bought iPhones).

But if they can, they should quick send out an iPhone update with user's requests (landscape keyboard for e-mail and text, more VPN options, etc)

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
Haven't tried PEAP yet, but I use WPA Personal at home and it works on the iPhone.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
I don't see anywhere this can be setup. Since you need to enter in credentials to authenticate against a RADIUS/TACACS server plus download a certificate this will need to be impl;emented via a software update. Although I am not sure how high Apple will prioritize this...

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Well with my university's VPN network, you just create a new 802.1x setting with PEAP as the security and then use your university ID and password to log on.

The iPhone detects the university's Wifi, but when I try to connect, there is only a password blank, which is not sufficient since it needs the username as well.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
Exactly. The username and password checked against an authentication server. Once authenticate it should be passing down a certificate. Well PEAP is Cisco's version of EAP so I don't remeber id it uses a certiciate or just a WEP key that changes every so often. In any event, all that needs to be in a software update.

robemich

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
802.1x is encrypted network authentication.

WEP is a method of encrypting wireless data packets.

They both pertain to wireless, but are very different in what they accomplish.

PEAP requires MS-CHAPv2 for its authentication, so it is going to need a username and password to be entered. The nice thing about PEAP is that it only needs a cert from the RADIUS server. If your admin of the RADIUS server wished, they could install a commercially signed cert on the RADIUS server which would be trusted by the OS. Having the commercial cert greatly reduces the complexity to deploying EAP-PEAP.

On the topic of wireless encryption, the iPhone will need to support dynamic rotating WEP keys at a minimum.

Enterprise customers are going to be upset about this. I know a number of people where I work are already talking about this. I would really like to see this addressed in a software update.

-mike

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hopefully, since the iPhone seems like it's being attacked as "not business friendly" from the get-go (no physical keyboard), Apple will want to avoiding furthering that argument by allowing then to add this problem to the list and fix this in an upcoming software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.