Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnyard

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Loved my original Pebble, then when it died I upgraded to the Apple Watch because I wanted a no sacrifices devices. Wish them the best, and I think what they do with limited access to the Apple walled garden has been pretty astonishing. However, all that being said, I will stick with Apple Watches going forward simply because they're better.

Reactions: RudySnow

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I own and use the Pebble Time. I think for folks who don't care about more advanced features/gimmicks and just want a digital watch with basic tracking, notifications, alerts, etc., the Pebble is tough to beat. I'm probably in the minority, but basic features and long battery life is all I care about. Paying twice as much for an Apple Watch is not something I'm interested in.

I do worry about the long term health of the company for a few reasons, including the fact that it seems like they overproduced for the last holiday season and there were a lot of deals running in January and February just to unload the things.

I will also never understand the desire by some for companies to go out of business. If you don't like a particular company or product, then don't buy it. More options for consumers is a good thing and helps drive competition. Unless there is some moral issue with Pebble I'm not aware of, I don't get it.

Reactions: CopyChief

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
And it's a shame too! I'm on the beta, I love the new dock but glances were useful too. Single page snippets of apps showing useful info, instead of the whole app? Yes please :(
Ahhh, yes, this was exactly how I felt when I first started using watchOS 3. HOWEVER, it turns out that I've gotten used to it. Specifically because of how fast it is to launch apps. I can only imagine how much faster they'll be when the watch apps are updated for watchOS 3. You probably won't miss glances at all.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
If Apple reduces the introductory price of the Apple Watch 1 to $199 or less, I believe Pebble will soon be toast. At a comparable price, Apple simply has better name recognition, and—functionality aside—consumers are turned on more by the higher-end "flashiness" of the AW if anything when presented with one against the 1980s arcade-style interface of the Pebble.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
If Apple reduces the introductory price of the Apple Watch 1 to $199 or less, I believe Pebble will soon be toast. At a comparable price, Apple simply has better name recognition, and—functionality aside—consumers are turned on more by the higher-end "flashiness" of the AW if anything when presented with one against the 1980s arcade-style interface of the Pebble.
That's certainly true for the mainstream consumer, but there will always be those of us who prefer practicality over looks.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
That's certainly true for the mainstream consumer, but there will always be those of us who prefer practicality over looks.

If a company like Pebble wants to innovate and compete in any meaningful, expansive way outside of funding from Kickstarter, and without a diverse portfolio and/or more populist name recognition, the small "those of [you]" won't be enough to sustain innovation and sales. With ~12 million AWs sold already, that's just reality.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ahhh, yes, this was exactly how I felt when I first started using watchOS 3. HOWEVER, it turns out that I've gotten used to it. Specifically because of how fast it is to launch apps. I can only imagine how much faster they'll be when the watch apps are updated for watchOS 3. You probably won't miss glances at all.
I hope so. I do love how fast the app/dock works, like it's on instantly. But glances had a really unique feature in, if set up correctly, you could build up a 'flow' of stuff to read once a day. I had the dictionary app's Word of the Day, followed by BBC news headlines, then a couple of recipes and other news aggregates, weather forecast for the day. It was just really useful info flowing along. Maybe that's not how Apple intended it to be used but I found it incredibly... pleasant, I guess!

But yes aside from the loss of glances (which I think would still be possible. Swipe up to bring up the control panel, and have the glances there. Don't save their position so every time you fire it up you get the controls first - have that act like a landing glance) WatchOS3 is incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.