Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble today announced the launch of a major software update for its line of Pebble smart watches, introducing new health features and interface tweaks designed to streamline the "glance and go" process of getting information and acting on it.

An updated Timeline with a new Quick View setting lets users see what events and activities are planned for the current day and up to three days in the future, while a new Launcher menu displays more items at once.

App Glances, a new feature, offers up information from apps before they're opened, and a 4-button Quick Launch feature lets users assign their favorite apps to the Up, Down, Back, and Select buttons.

pebblehealth.jpg

The Pebble Health feature built into the Pebble app has a new look with clearer, easier to understand Activity and Sleep graphs, plus it's easier to access.
Press Up from your watchface for quick glances at your step and sleep performance with the redesigned activity cards. Press Right from each activity to dive deeper and compare how you're currently doing with your typical performance from the past week.
For iOS users, there's a "Sneak Peek" feature that lets a Pebble watch paired with an iOS device manage emails, an option that was previously limited to Android users. With iOS Email Actions, it's possible to Delete, Archive, Mark as Read, Reply All, and Star emails received from Gmail accounts.

The new features are available for the Pebble Time, Time Steel, and Time Round and can be downloaded from the Pebble app. Older Pebble watches, including the Pebble and Pebble Steel, will see an updated look and feel and performance and reliability improvements with today's update.

The updated Pebble app will be available today from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pebble Launches Update With Streamlined Interface, Redesigned 'Pebble Health' Feature

JimmyJimmyYam

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
I loved my Pebble, my Pebble Time, my current Time Steel and I can't wait to get my hands on a Time 2.

I really don't understand all the hate they get on MacRumors - competition that drives the Apple Watch to improve is surely welcome - and currently the Pebble trounces the Watch for battery life, waterproofing & its always on display.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh neat! I fear it's too little too late, though. I had a KS Pebble since day 1 but I recently switched to Apple Watch. While it does take some getting used to in terms of having to charge it every night, and it's no longer swim-proof, the AW is quite good.
[doublepost=1472585581][/doublepost]
I loved my Pebble, my Pebble Time, my current Time Steel and I can't wait to get my hands on a Time 2.

I really don't understand all the hate they get on MacRumors - competition that drives the Apple Watch to improve is surely welcome - and currently the Pebble trounces the Watch for battery life, waterproofing & its always on display.
By far the weakest part of Macrumors. A fear of rival products. I *wish* my Apple Watch was as water resistant and had the same battery life as my Pebble! Hopefully Apple push on and improve their watch in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
My wife has the Pebble Time. She mostly likes it, but I'm not a fan of the display. In these sorts of news releases it sure seems like they touch up the display images, because hers is nowhere near that easy to read - it always looks washed out to me, indoors or out.

I'd rather have a bright monochrome OLED display, such as my Garmin Vivosmart or one of the new FitBits have.

Reactions: shadowbird423

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
My wife has the Pebble Time. She mostly likes it, but I'm not a fan of the display. In these sorts of news releases it sure seems like they touch up the display images, because hers is nowhere near that easy to read - it always looks washed out to me, indoors or out.

I'd rather have a bright monochrome OLED display, such as my Garmin Vivosmart or one of the new FitBits have.
You can't have an always on display and a weeks worth of battery life with OLED. These are the appeals of the Pebble.
[doublepost=1472588574][/doublepost]
Pebble isn't going to last much longer.
If be seriously bummed if that happened. No way in **** I'm getting an Apple Watch.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
By far the weakest part of Macrumors. A fear of rival products. I *wish* my Apple Watch was as water resistant and had the same battery life as my Pebble! Hopefully Apple push on and improve their watch in time.
Maybe jealousy is part of the hate? But why would anyone try to feel jealous on behalf of a multibillion dollar company?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Glances? Really pebble? I mean, that ship has sailed. Glances are no more as of watchOS 3.0

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I have a Pebble time and it's been fantastic, it's taken an absolute pounding, it's been down filthy drains (my job for a water co) and it lasts a week between charges.

It has an always on easy to glance at screen, I can see notifications, I can control my tunes, and it tracks my activity and sleep and feeds it back to Apple health, I don't see what else I need on my wrist.

For me a £100-£150 Pebble is a no brainier compared to a £300 Apple Watch which would have broken if I'd have subjected it to half what the Pebble has taken.

If you are all about flashy features and ordering pizza from your wrist then get an Apple Watch but don't bash the Pebble because it's not as flashy as your beloved Apple Watch.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Maybe jealousy is part of the hate? But why would anyone try to feel jealous on behalf of a multibillion dollar company?
It's especially ridiculous given that these smartwatches are just freaking smartphone peripherals! Yeah the Apple Watch is often talked about like it is its own independent platform, but it really isn't. You can't do anything with it until its linked to an iPhone. This is like complaining that someone uses a Logitech mouse with their iMac instead of a Magic Mouse.

Reactions: BruceEBonus

nadador

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
I love my Pebble, still using the original model and thinking of an upgrade. I *want* to want an Apple watch so bad, but the things I love most about my Pebble are not available on an Apple Watch:
- I swim with it, and it times/counts my laps for me (Apple watch can't take the immersion)
- It's my silent wrist-vibrating alarm clock that wakes me at the right time in the morning (Apple watch has to charge overnight)

Sure, the Apple watch has many nice features, but it's no match to the Pebble for what matters to me.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You can't have an always on display and a weeks worth of battery life with OLED. These are the appeals of the Pebble.

I understand that some people want that. For me, the always-on aspect of it doesn't matter - the main value in the device is for reminders, notifications, and alarms.

My wife likes it, though, because she can just glance and see what her blood sugar is at. She's diabetic and uses a app called Night Scout (or something like that). She also likes to "just see the time". I, on the other hand, figure if I'm getting appointment reminders I don't need to keep close track of the time. :D

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's especially ridiculous given that these smartwatches are just freaking smartphone peripherals! Yeah the Apple Watch is often talked about like it is its own independent platform, but it really isn't. You can't do anything with it until its linked to an iPhone. This is like complaining that someone uses a Logitech mouse with their iMac instead of a Magic Mouse.
Pretty much why the Watch has zero appeal to me. Especially at that price point.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Pebble continues to fight and and I admire that. But they are fighting a losing battle. They laid off a number employees months ago and completely rely on Kickstarter for their products. They just don't have much if a support to compete with Android Wear and the Apple Watch.

raj

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
San Diego
If you have a Pebble and you make any use of the past timeline, then you probably don't want to upgrade!. Pebble has quietly removed the past timeline. It simply doesn't exist anymore!. Instead the "up" button now invokes the Pebble Health app and that's all. No more past timeline.

If this bothers you, then go here:
https://mischievous.us/wiki/pages/f4r8h5f
And help out by adding more past timeline uses.
Also, tweet journalism using hashtag "#pebblepast".
And finally, sign the petition.

If you don't use Pebble past timeline, or don't like Pebble, then please respect that things you don't care about may be very important to others. Thanks!

Reactions: 0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Glances? Really pebble? I mean, that ship has sailed. Glances are no more as of watchOS 3.0
And it's a shame too! I'm on the beta, I love the new dock but glances were useful too. Single page snippets of apps showing useful info, instead of the whole app? Yes please :(

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I'll take a stab at providing a flip side answer to your post. (hint: it's all about personal needs).

I have a Pebble time and it's been fantastic, it's taken an absolute pounding, it's been down filthy drains (my job for a water co) and it lasts a week between charges.

I work in an office. Ruggedness is not an issue for me. (And neither was it on my previous analogue watches which ranged from mid-end "fashion" brands up to low end Swiss). I also wear my Apple Watch Sport to the gym, and after a year it has one scratch on the screen (I'm pretty sure that was from knocking it into a wall).

The week between charges is nice on the Pebble Time. But I take my watches off before bed. So it makes very little difference in day to day life whether it lasts 1 day or 300. They sit on the nightstand whilst I sleep.

I must admit I am intrigued by the sleep tracking apps for smart watches, and this may change my habits.

It has an always on easy to glance at screen, I can see notifications, I can control my tunes, and it tracks my activity and sleep and feeds it back to Apple health, I don't see what else I need on my wrist.

Similar to the really long battery life on the Pebble Time - it would be nice to have an always on screen, but in reality it's not something I miss from my analogue watches. I pretty much always have to move my wrist to check the time/notifications and the screen is on. If the mechanism didn't work or I had a use case where I had to stare at the screen then it would be a 100% required feature.

A few of the things that I do on my Apple Watch that I would miss on the Pebble Time
- I no longer carry my iPhone around the gym. As my Apple Watch can store music locally and play them over Bluetooth and it has apps to log sets/reps of workouts.
- I no longer have to take my wallet/cash or phone when out cycling or running, Apple pay on the watch is like living in the future.
- With Nightstand Mode my Apple Watch is my bedside clock (Pebble Time may have similar now - but it didn't when I looked at the Pebble lineup).
- The heart rate monitor is useful for those that work out (providing more accurate calorie burn info).
- Touchscreen - for interacting with the notifications and complications.
- Force Touch, useful to have the additional interaction method on a small device - can easily clear lots of notifications for example.
- Digital Crown for Time Travel and sliding through screens easily (like checking the weekly weather forecast).

Other more subjective negatives of the pebble Time:

- I think the Pebble Time (inc. Steel) are ugly watches - the Fisher Price bezels, the straps it all feels and looks cheap.
- I dislike the small screen, I own a 42mm Apple Watch the screen on the Pebble Time is smaller than a 38mm Apple Watch.
- I dislike the low res screen on the Pebble Watch, the variety of complications and detailed faces I like on my Apple Watch just wouldn't work as well.

For me a £100-£150 Pebble is a no brainier compared to a £300 Apple Watch which would have broken if I'd have subjected it to half what the Pebble has taken.

Why is the plastic Pebble Time so much stronger in your opinion than an aluminium/stainless steel Apple Watch? What has your Pebble Time been subjected to that would've broken an Apple Watch? Not actually doubting your claim (as I say mine doesn't get too beaten up) - just more intrigued you think the Apple Watch would not hold up to the things that a Pebble Time can.

I've not looked for a while, but the tests on the Apple Watch showed a pretty rugged device on launch: http://www.macworld.com/article/291...but-comes-out-strong-in-durability-tests.html

If you are all about flashy features and ordering pizza from your wrist then get an Apple Watch but don't bash the Pebble because it's not as flashy as your beloved Apple Watch.

"don't bash the Pebble" straight after lowering Apple Watch owners to those that "are all about flashy features and ordering pizza from your wrist". Hilarious.

Reactions: RudySnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.