Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
There was a lot of pebble bashing on this forum in the last week, complaining about lack of notifications, poor and dropped connections etc etc

I am a pebble user it has worked flawlessly for about 6 months now...I get all notifications, the connection never drops.

For those of you that had a pebble, but are now in possession of an apple watch...what are your thoughts?

I read numerous comments saying that apple will be better, as a native device the connection and operation with the phone will be smoother and apple make amazing devices.

Pebble took time to get it right, do you feel apple will also take time, or were you expecting it to work better the moment you took it out of the box?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
There was a lot of pebble bashing on this forum in the last week, complaining about lack of notifications, poor and dropped connections etc etc

I am a pebble user it has worked flawlessly for about 6 months now...I get all notifications, the connection never drops.

For those of you that had a pebble, but are now in possession of an apple watch...what are your thoughts?

I read numerous comments saying that apple will be better, as a native device the connection and operation with the phone will be smoother and apple make amazing devices.

Pebble took time to get it right, do you feel apple will also take time, or were you expecting it to work better the moment you took it out of the box?

Pebble is unpaired and sitting in my bag with the cable. Going to sell it for $40 to a co worker.

rickshill

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Bye Bye Pebble!

It is a smartwatch...I have been using smartwatches going back to the Microsoft Spot watches that used FM radios to communicate.....It is the best smartwatch...which if you already have a pebble is exactly what you are looking for...

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Love it gave the pebble to a friend. I hate to say it since I loved the pebble, but it kind of sucks in comparison at least when being used with an iphone. Unless I was missing something I had to receive Evey notification on my pebble. Where as my :apple:watch I can select which I want on the watch.

jekim

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I also had a Pebble. I did have rare connection issues but for the most part it did what I wanted it to do...allow me to know what is coming in on my phone when I could not be near it. Now that I have had my Apple watch I am beyond thrilled with what Apple has given us. I look at it as a remote control for the phone. I think a great feature that Apple has is that notifications don't come to the watch when the phone is in use. Someone in another post talking about this made the analogy that the Pebble is like drinking water from a firehose and I couldn't agree more. I loved my Pebble but I am beyond thrilled with the Apple watch so far.

segrobja

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
NYC
Ive been using a Pebble for about 2 years now since the first Kickstarters shipped. I am enjoying not having redundant notifications when I get alerts while using my phone. I also enjoy that when I am on the phone the details of my call arent on my wrist, that was annoying to me with the Pebble.

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Ive been using a Pebble for about 2 years now since the first Kickstarters shipped. I am enjoying not having redundant notifications when I get alerts while using my phone. I also enjoy that when I am on the phone the details of my call arent on my wrist, that was annoying to me with the Pebble.

Agreed. SO happy for no more redundant notifications. It took time to get used to this with the Apple Watch. At first I thought I was missing notifications, but then I realized they were just being managed better. Or is that just the Apple Reality Distortion Field at work?

The Apple Watch (SS) is much heavier. That will take some getting used to.

I do miss the always-on screen of the Pebble, though. It was nice being able to just glance down without twisting/lifting my wrist. I also miss all the different watch face options!

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
The Apple Watch is much better than my old Pebble. The only thing I miss is that you could activate the Pebble screen's backlight by wiggling your wrist. The Apple Watch doesn't do that, so I resort to tapping the screen when the display doesn't turn on automatically.

And the charging cable on the Pebble was awful; often it wouldn't seat so the thing didn't charge. Apple did a nice job of solving that problem with the magnetic puck charger.

And the full color retina display is really stunning.

I'm a happy switcher :)

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I was thinking about using my Pebble for certain occasions where I didn't want my Apple Watch to be used, maybe in situations where I did a lot of activity that may cause it to get damaged. This was before the 24th.

Now, after just 2 days with my Apple Watch, I never want to go back. The Apple Watch does everything the Pebble does, but better, and then a ton more. And that screen is so beautiful!!

Honestly, when there are times when I want to use a different watch, I'm going to use a regular one. I just can't go back to a half-smart watch after being spoiled by Apple.

tigerinexile

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
I liked my Pebble lots, but the Apple Watch kills it.

I did order a Pebble Time, with the idea that I might use it in conjunction with the Apple Watch (varies by day, and maybe on trips).

No, won't. Well, may keep it for my travel phone and work phone, but the Apple Watch will be my daily driver. Too much useful stuff to do with it.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Agreed. SO happy for no more redundant notifications. It took time to get used to this with the Apple Watch. At first I thought I was missing notifications, but then I realized they were just being managed better.

I agree with this 100%. The double notifications got annoying quickly.

Another think I love is the Taptic Engine. It feels like a tap, compared to vibration motor in the Pebble, which felt like an earthquake on my wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.