Pebble watch vs Fuel Band?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Smileyboy, May 17, 2013.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I'm very active and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get a Pebble watch. I have a fuel band and I'm wondering if the Pebble does the same if not more than the fuel band, I'm ready for something different. Anyone have both?
    I'll of course be using this with my iPhone 5.
    Thanks

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

I have a Pebble and I use it with RunKeeper. Currently, the only information that displays on the Pebble, after you start your RunKeeper activity, are;

• Elapsed time of the Activity
    • Distance
    • Pace
    Pebble has just released a Sports API and RunKeeper has indicated they will continue to add features.

3. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Cool. Maybe I should hold out. I would like something to check heart rate and caloric burn. I lift weights, trx bands, futbol and other sports. Not too much straight running. But I'll check out the app. Thanks!

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

I use MyFitnessPal to track calories, both intake and burn (exercise).

I use a Wahoo Fitness Blue HR heart monitor when exercising in conjunction with RunKeeper, it pairs via bluetooth.

5. jdecosta macrumors member

Have you looked at the new Fitbit Flex. I purchased 2 weeks ago, Best Buy released them early, so far so good.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

Too many mediocre reviews for me, plus I already had a Pebble.

7. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

The Fuel Band is a different device from most of the other fitness gadgets out there. It is more of a motivational device than anything else. The tracking on the that thing is questionable and the lack of being able to track individual activities is really disappointing.

To track runs or exercise proper a different piece of tech would be useful. I use the Nike+ Sportwatch for that.

With that said, I've been wearing a Fuel Band for the past 4 months now and while it isn't a great measurement of any one particular activity, it has been a great tool to keep me moving. I'm generally pretty active but there are days when I am just tired to due to work and life. The Fuel Band on multiple occassions has pushed me to get going especially on the crappier, rainier days. Times when I have been too tired to hit the gym, checking the fuel meter and seeing I'm only 200 away gave me the motiviation to get up and hit the goal either by a quick field trip to the gym, or a quick run around the block.

To be honest, the Fuel Band really shouldn't be measured against a true workout tracker as that isn't its intention despite the marketing campaign.