Peculiar bug with 2010 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xamon, Oct 24, 2010.

1. xamon macrumors newbie

Hello macrumors,
    first i would like to say that if this was already posted somewhere else i did search and could not find anything about it and also if this is not the right forum please let me know, i am kinda noob here.

Well I have a corei7 macbook pro and I have it connected to my tv with the apple mini display port to dvi and then I have that hook up to my Tv with a dvi to hdmi cable. Normally this adapter should not be able to output sound but after a weird bug( I dont know how I did it) but i have now both sound and picture coming out of the adapter.
    My question is did this happen to anyone else and is it known how to do this all the time(i am kinda scared to turn off the computer now)

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

3. xamon thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i know that but apple does not allow the sound to be pass through the mini display port to dvi adapter, i somehow found a way to bypass that and i was just wondering if it happened to someone else.

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I think that all 2010 Macs have audio-out through Mini Displayport.

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

So you are saying you are going from mDP -> DVI -> HDMI

That is interesting that audio is being passed. I wonder what pins the audio signal is using in the DVI cable.

6. xamon thread starter macrumors newbie

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I know that DVI normally shouldn't output sound, I think that it's still part of the pinout. I have the same set up as you, and I remember sound working. So, while it certainly isn't logical, there does appear to be a sound line that is carrying over to the DVI and then from DVI to HDMI.

8. DJ-R macrumors regular

Finally someone understand ... LOL

Yeah I was wondering too. I have mDP -> HDMI. Sounds and everything works. But as for yours.

Wow.. magic? I've not heard of DVI supports sound.

9. xamon thread starter macrumors newbie

Close to magic yea. I really want this to stay because I was about to buy the $40 griffin adapter + idk how much for an hdmi cable but if this stay i wont have to any gonna try and restart my computer and see.

10. scrace89 macrumors member

<$10 hdmi cables. monoprice.com