Peculiar finder behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Sep 21, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I had opened a folder using the Finder... then started working on Safari... Safari was then the front-most window and the folder I was working on was in the background... all good so far...

I then needed to open another finder window... which I did and it opened on top of Safari... again, everything is great...

However, as soon as I 'closed' the most recent Finder window (by hitting the red bubble), the long forgotten finder window OPENED... this is beyond belief... I was just closing a Finder window and then an OLD one opened up??

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the red bubble? I really don't want windows appearing when I close unrelated windows...

Cliff.

2. shaboomi macrumors newbie

Hi Cliff,

I think this is because osx will always put the application you are using in the front.
    So because you clicked on the red bubble to close the window, osx says 'finder' is your current application so we had better make sure it's in the front. So then you see the other finder window you had open.
    Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Rich

3. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Cliff, everything you described seems normal.

Think about it this way: You opened a window in the Finder (A), you switched to Safari and opened a window (B) and then switched back to Finder and opened another window (C). At some point, you switched back to Safari, so that you windows were ordered B-C-A (front to rear). Then, you clicked on C, bringing the Finder to the foreground, but only that window (C-B-A). When you closed window C, the Finder remained the foreground application, so A, being the only window open in that app, moved to the foreground (A-B).

Does that make sense (my explanation)?