Peculiar issue with iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAppleGeek, Oct 4, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

(To start, I should have posted this issue earlier, but due to my hectic life as of lately, I am just now reporting it.)

After I dropped my original iPhone 4 at a coffee shop and broke the screen, I sent it into Apple, and early-September, received a replacement iPhone 4. But, since the day I got it (which, by the way was brand new, and surprisingly not a refurbished model) the phone will turn off every morning by itself.

I first noticed it when, right before I left for work, my phone had turned off without warning.I hadn't checked the battery, so I figured it died. After a couple of attempts at turning it on via the On/Off button, I discovered I have to do a hard reset to have it come back on.

This has been going on for nearly a month now, and quite honestly, I cannot stand it anymore. One moment I'll be texting someone and when I set it down for a minute or less, the phone has already turned off!

I'd assume the issue might just be a partially-defective model. But, is this common?

2. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Take it to Apple. I can't believe you've been putting up with this for a month.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

4. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

That's what I figured.

See, the funny thing is, it only happens in the morning. Really strange

5. thinkdiesel macrumors member

someones playing a cruel trick on you middle of the night lol.

6. eajames macrumors newbie

I had this happening with a week-34 phone. I had it replaced yesterday - so far, so good.

7. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Doesn't happen to me. First thing that comes to mind is the phone is trying to run some app or do something ovenight. Do you have fetch e-mail on? Maybe turn on Airplane mode overnight to see if it is dieing trying to connect to something.

However, personally, I would call Apple now (or go to an Apple store, assuming you have one nearby) and get it replaced. If it's been going on for a month, it's probably not going to get better. Life's too short to screw around with a phone that's not working right.

8. eajames macrumors newbie

The last time I had mine freeze like this I had closed everything in the multitask drawer and put it to sleep. It was frozen in the sleep state the next time I tried to use it.

Mine is a no-contract USA phone; I use it as a Touch on 'roids. Your recommendation to use it in Airplane mode might have solved my problem - that phone also had borderline battery life and I came to believe that it was because the device was always "waiting for activation - this might take a while". At the time I wasn't aware that one could operate in Airplane mode with WIFI turned on; that is how I'm using this new device and the battery life is significantly better (currently showing 3hr 47min usage; 18hrs 45mins standby; battery at 73% - WIFI was on for all of this usage, including a two-hour Netflicks stream.

Another observation: At least three of the times my device froze it was in sleep mode with WIFI on and I had left home and relocated to an area where WIFI signals where available.

9. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

It's a truly strange occurrence. For a while, I thought the problem had gone away, as it didn't do it for about five days straight. Though, it is still happening, and I finally set up a repair through Apple.

It's not so much of a "horrible" problem as it is an annoying one. There are times I need to check something right then, but can't until doing a hard reset and waiting for it to boot back up.

10. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

hmmm.. Seems like it's having issues coming out from sleep mode to me.

I guess you already tried going to Reset in Settings and reset the thing.

Maybe a software issue.

You may try just to switch the auto-lock setting to "Never" if it wakes up from a manual lock (pushing the sleep button on top).

11. BergerFan, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan