Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
My late 2008 mbp sleeps just fine when the lid is shut, and wakes up just fine when opened back up. i know there have been issues with that sleep, but my sleep issue is a little different.

mine doesnt sleep properly when the lid is left open; i have the display set to sleep at 20 minutes (screen saver set to never come on), and the computer to sleep at 30 minutes. i left the computer on and left for about an hour and a half, and when i came back the display was sleeping properly but the computer was not. the sleep light was on but steady on, not pulsing like it does when the lid is closed, but the computer was definitely not asleep, just the display.

anyone else having this issue?

donbenjy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
yes, do you have any youtube/videos open in a browser, or quicktime, or itunes videos playing?

Having any kind of flash video page loaded (even if paused or finished) causes mine to not sleep. To prove what's at fault launch the Console from: Applications/Utilities/Console

Select system.log from the left, and scroll to a time when it should have been sleeping (like night time). I have:

Code:
Dec 15 11:39:13 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 6416, Safari)
Dec 15 11:39:13 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel
Dec 15 11:39:15 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 6416, Safari)
Dec 15 11:39:15 ben-frearsons-macbook-pro kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel
etc...

all night when I have BBC iplayer pages open. I can prove it by closing all Safari windows, but not quitting, and it will sleep.

Unfortunately I can't find a solution, other than closing the windows (which is annoying if I want to listen to something before I sleep). I'm sure there is a fix, but I don't know what it is! It's not at all a problem specific to your MBP though - rather a "feature" of Safari :p

Sleep via the Apple Remote (doesn't come with the unibodies, but I pinched one from home) works, as does selecting it from the :apple: menu, so I think it's stopping before it properly sleeps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.