pedestrian "countdowns"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unid, Jun 22, 2010.

1. unid macrumors regular

Wondering what people think of this new system.
    bbc

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They're all over the place here. No opinion either way really...

3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Here everywhere too. I like em I guess. They give you a better idea when the light is going to change. They don't make people in their car-bubbles notice pedestrians any more than usual.

4. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Those things are everywhere here in Chicago. I love them when I am riding my bicycle because they let me know when the lights are about to turn yellow or red.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

They're nearly all replaced here, and I think they are brilliant, both as a pedestrian and as a driver, living in a city with an above-average contention between the two. Not only do they give the pedestrian vital intelligence on how to not die, but they are visible enough that drivers can usually get an idea how long they have to get through the light before it turns yellow.

The only rare shortcoming I have seen is that sometimes drivers who are not familiar with them (tourists :rolleyes:) will see a countdown with a few seconds left and stop prematurely, apparently not realizing how long five seconds is when you are driving, and also that you still get the yellow light first.

I have no idea what that critical quote could possibly mean. How would a countdown at crosswalks increase traffic?

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

Same here.

7. unid thread starter macrumors regular

link

Not sure how that was construed as increasing traffic, but the suggestion that the measure is geared to easing traffic flow, as opposed to being a significant benefit to pedestrains, seems realistic.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It is both. That criticism is just nuts. Why would you institute that and then not give pedestrians enough time to cross? The problem is naturally, in part, people who start across as the light is changing and continue to block traffic, but this is also a hazard to pedestrians, and if there isn't enough time to cross when you get there, you'll only have to wait a couple of minutes, so whats the problem? Wide intersections get VERY long timers. If the elderly cannot get across before the light changes, then extending the time is a separate complaint.

I mean, it's not really my concern. I don't live there. But really, I have rarely heard such nonsense.

You will still have people crossing late and having the light change while they are in the middle of the street, I assure you. The only thing this changes is that they will know it before they begin and have the opportunity to make an informed choice.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I like 'em as both as a pedestrian trying not to be killed by a fleet o Taxi's, and as a driver who's trying to get off the pole in a hurry >:)