pedestrian on cell killed by truck

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Saw that on TV this morning. :(

They were saying pedestrians should avoid talking on the phone and if listening to music, do not use noise canceling earphones.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yesterday a pedestrian was crossing a road in front of me and he didn't even bother looking at my direction. Luckily I was driving below the speed limit and noticed him and kept my distance.

What happened to looking in both directions before crossing? :(

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad this happened.

Exactly!

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Heard it on the Mighty Q this morning. Nasty, and totally unnecessary.

And some kids will dare you to hit them. It's like some kind of rite of passage.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That would involve common sense, paying attention to the world around you, and not being beholden to the notion that something is wrong with you if you don't go around with a cell phone superglued to your face.

8. suburbia macrumors 6502

Why such carelessness and a lack of common sense-- whether you're in a busy urban or a quiet suburban setting?

I know that I become completely oblivious to everything around you once you're on the mobile, so please limit your use when you're on the street or on the road. Some people can't even stand still while waiting for the lights to cross the street-- they have to put that damn gadget up to their ear...:rolleyes:

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I was almost killed several times by drivers on cell phones... :eek:

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Judging by the article, I don't think it would have helped. She walked right into the side of a truck, fell down, and then the truck started moving and ran over her. To avoid the truck, she had to be looking forward. :rolleyes:

It's a sad way to die, but I really don't feel THAT bad in this case. She wasn't killed due to someone elses mistake. Those are the worst.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The article states she walked into the SIDE of the truck, and was consequently run over by the rear wheels. That's a whole new level of not paying attention, and incredibly sad.

13. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Thats crazy. A very high degree on inattention is required for this. I still feel bad for her and her family.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

This happened right by my friends condo... damn. Honestly at that time of night on a Wednesday night there wouldn't be a lot of traffic, but to be that oblivious to your surroundings when crossing the street is crazy.

Regardless of how it happened though I feel sorry for the family of the girl and the truck driver.

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I few years ago we were driving in downtown Chicago, I think it was on Michigan Ave. A group of pedestrians were crossing our left, they stopped at the middle island but one girl almost walked right into the side of our car. She was talking and didn't pay any attention. Luckily her friend stopped her from stepping into the street, but I heard her whelp. :eek:

Needless to say, my heart sank, but glad that was the worst of it.

I also noticed a lot of people who cross even when the pedestrian light is red. They do this when there are no cars coming, however, others standing around them that are NOT paying attention start crossing thinking they got a green light. You can imagine what that could lead to. :( :mad:

16. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I used to read books while walking through traffic. It's amazing I didn't get hit by a car.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I got hit by a car when I made the idiot mistake of crossing a busy street with my in-ear headphones and iPod going...thankfully the cheesy plastic hood on the Renault that hit me absorbed most of the blow because the pavement certainly wasn't! I was only bruised up but certainly had a wake-up that iPod/cellphone/whatever use in traffic can get you killed!

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I admit that I used to do something like this when I was younger. I would walk into the road and try to time it so that I would walk in one continuous non-stop motion and just miss the back end of the car. If I had to slow down to avoid walking into the moving car, then I "lost" the challenge.

That game stopped pretty quickly once I started sitting at the wheel of a car and realized just how dangerous my game was.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this........... Should make the top ten this year!

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm shocked that they're discussing outlawing talking on a cell while walking. Another ridiculous attempt to regulate common sense. :rolleyes:

It's a tragedy. She probably talked on the phone every day while walking around, and got too complacent. Trucks have poor fields of vision.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The truck was located in front of her. I think the truck's side windows were ok at the time. Considering their relative positions, it was probably her responsibility to watch out for the truck.

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Judging from the amount of people I see yapping on their phones while driving, I'm sure it'll be a smashing success. ;)

Sometimes I'm of the opinion we should do away with all the nanny laws and let the human race do some serious self-culling.

23. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

too bad, i feel 4 her family, our common sense is gone

24. Tosser macrumors 68030

I'm sorry, but seriously, if anyone deserves a darwin award ...

What an idiot.

25. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

haha agreed. I see so many dumb bimbos walking and talking in their own world I could care less.