Peer Guardian 2 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SavageMac, Nov 30, 2007.

1. SavageMac macrumors member

I downloaded Peer Guardian 2 from their website: http://phoenixlabs.org/pgosx/

After that I tried to install the application but it quits unexpectedly every time. Anyone else have this problem?

Any other powerful IP-blocklist programs (free) for OSX?

:p

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is this with leopard?

It is currently incompatible with Leopard.

3. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

How unfortunate.

P2P users need to have their privacy protected.

:mad:

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Switch to Azureus and get SafePeer. Its a plugin that only works while Azureus works, so its not an annoying pest like PG2.

5. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the suggestion Blu! I just installed SafePeer plugin for Azureus but I am unsure if it is working.

Under SafePeer settings there is a section called "Main URL database" which links to a text file supposedly full of bad IPs.

A quick browser search says the page no longer exists.

Am I lost?

:eek:

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

But Azureus is also incompatible with Leopard, no?

7. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Azureus works fine with leopard, i have been using it since tiger, and i noticed no change. About the blocklists, it would seem that the site that provides them is going trough some financial troubles, however, seeing as the blocklists from that site are also used for PG2, i dont really see any alternative.
    Also, the blocklists are not really necessary if youre downloading torrents. Seeing as neither the MPAA, RIAA, or the local police or whatever law enforcement agency you choose never sued a bit torrent downloader, not that any law enforcement agency would. All the people that were sued were using Kazaa, or Limewire or DC, or some other protocol. The main attack on Bit Torrent consists of attacks on trackers, which is why both Demonoid and Oink have gone on to the eternal hunting grounds.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

If you use bittorrent, then you are uploading - that is, supplying. If the torrent you are distributing is covered by copyright or other restrictions, then you are running a risk of prosecution. Just because no prosecutions have yet taken place does not mean that they are not being planned right now.

BTW - Peer Guardian/Vanguard and all of those host blocker programs offer no protection whatsoever. All of those people downloading from you probably have their ports open to everyone and are broadcasting your IP to the world. The RIAA does not have to connect to you directly to see that you are sharing.

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I dont think that any litigation will come against the end users of Bit Torrent files. The attacks focused on torrent trackers are much more efficient, because they can cripple a multitude of people, rather than destroying a single user. Why attack someone sharing 350mb when you can take down the place that makes sharing terabytes of data possible?