Peer to Peer Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Julien, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Could Apple Pay be setup to do Peer to Peer payments? This would be a nice alternative to using Square or PayPal.

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I was wondering this same thing, especially since so many people consider :apple:Pay to be an alternative to PayPal. The only time I ever use PayPal is to pay someone on eBay where traditional payment methods aren't typically used.

3. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's possible right now, but i wouldn't be surprised to see this happen in the future.

4. doerrmann macrumors member

There are several reports of NFC in iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 - that would allow those devices to be used as registers if the capability is built into the OS at some point.

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

It only seems logical. It would make Apple Pay much more useful in the short term. I just hope they can get around the credit fees and just do a free money transfer.

6. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

There is an update on the MR article stating that there is indeed an NFC chip on these devices but there is no NFC antenna allowing the devices to be used as a register. Looks like the chip is on there to safely store your CC info while using Apple Pay to pay for things in apps.

7. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I mentioned this in another thread. it would be fantastic if they did this. I use PayPal but really hate to do so. I use Chase QuickPay or Citi PopMoney when I can. How great would it be if you could just tap another iPhone to transfer $ to them.

8. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I could definitely see how a company like Square could make their own NFC adapter that plugs into the headphone jack like the current mag stripe reader.

9. GreenAustin macrumors member

You could do Peer to Peer with Apple Pay (Square does P2P using Debit Cards after all), however the cost of the TXN in the interchange fees the banks would get would not make it profitable to do so without charging the consumer. Would you pay to Xfer �� like this? Say 4-5% of the amount?

----------

Those are controllers; not Antenna so they can't transmit. I think not having the transmitter is a huge miss for Apple for the reason you stated above - Register. A $500 NFC Ready Register in an industry where $2500 is the starting point for an NFC POS. Easy way to open it up to small business...

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Next year, ios9. And probably via a third party app like PayPal. Or the never really fully launched Chase/BoA/WellsFargo clearXchange person-to-person system.

11. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Don't see Apple allowing PayPal NFC access after the underhanded stunt they pulled.:eek:

[​IMG]

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Peer to Peer Apple Pay

I was thinking the same. Then realized such a pos setup will need magnetic cc for quite some time. So it already needs a dongle for that. Perhaps a hybrid dongle, with both a cc reader and applePay antenna.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

"Download the paypal app now..." Which doesnt function at all, and has been broken and disfunctional for at least 4 years with sign of intention of fixing it. LOOL

Attached Files: