Peerguardian acting up...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JeffHong21, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JeffHong21 macrumors member

Ihave had peer guardian for a while, but just a couple of weeks ago, when i started up ichat, peer guardian would suddenly constantly show a ton of popups of it blocking something (it says its from ichat) for a couple seconds and than everythings normal. When im browsing, it would about every minute show one popup of it blocking something. I'm wondering has anyone encountered this and what have they done to remedy this?

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

When your not using peerguardian to block ip's just disable the filters, but when you need it be sure to re-enable the filters. Or you can also right click on the address that it blocks and allow it forever so it doesn't get blocked.

3. JeffHong21 thread starter macrumors member

What i want to know is how come it all of a sudden started blocking stuff. I havn't touched the peer guardian settings since i had it and its been a while.

I hope this can help other people who've encountered this.

4. Ugmuck macrumors newbie

Peer Guardian Acting Up, WAY UP!!

I've had Peer Guardian for a long time and really like it. I have the latest release. I use OS 10.4.11 on a ppc. It worked very well until SUDDENLY, first thing in the morning, it started blocking like crazy! Then, I found my internet connection was gone! After a lot of trial and error, I found that PG was totally blocking internet connections. I had to disable it, and re-start my computer to regain internet connection. I've experimented and re-started PG, but same thing happened. I've disabled it until and unless I can find a way to fix it.

I went to sleep and it was working fine. I woke up and it was f*****d.

Anybody have similar experiences? Anybody have a clue to what's going on?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

5. JeffHong21 thread starter macrumors member

would it be an update that started the blocking rampage?

6. Ugmuck macrumors newbie

PeerGuardian Blocking Rampage

No, I did not update Peer Guardian before it started to block everything including all internet connections.

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I updated anything that night before I went to sleep. Just woke up in the morning and POW!

Still have it disabled. Might try it once more and if it continues sad behavior, dump it and try to re-install...??

Anybody have any other ideas?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

7. JeffHong21 thread starter macrumors member

yea i m in the same boat as you, when i start ichat, all of a sudden it keeps blocking something. nothing happened the night before too. Im wondering would it be some kind of bug or malware mac related.

8. Ugmuck macrumors newbie

PeerGuardian Psycho Episodes

It might be some sort of malware associated with PG; I doubt it has anything to do with the Mac OS. Or, the PG app may have somehow become corrupted, as other apps sometimes do. Or, it could have something to do with a temporary bug in PGs own list updates - in which case it might happen only intermittently. But it was so severe and went on for for several days, so I just had to disable it. That's where things stand now.

I'll be too busy to deal with it for the next 10 days, but then I intend to give it 1 more try. If ok, I'll get back to you and say so. If not, I will dump it and reinstall and then try again. http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/cool.gif

9. sassy77 macrumors newbie

Peer guardian the culprit

I was having the same problem--a gazillion websites not loading but then I disabled filters in peer guardian (file--disable filters) and do not have the problem anymore!

10. OffBrand macrumors member

Like JeffHong21, I haven't touched Peer Guardian in ages. These pop-ups started today, and they are pissing me off. I'm willing to try disabling the filters, but I'll uninstall it completely if necessary.

11. dblackmore macrumors newbie

Blame Growl

I had the same problem, looks like with MAC theirs not many options for this. Turns out you have to look elsewhere. Check out the system settings under 'other', and open up Growl. Uncheck peerguardian, and no more popups. You can still confirm that it is blocking, by looking at the statistics.