Peerguardian will not work w/Lion. Any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tivaclare, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tivaclare macrumors newbie

I've done a bit of searching in the forums here and I'm still a bit lost. Up until recently we were using Transmission and Peerguardian. My husband updated to Lion yesterday and now PG no longer works.

Are there any alternatives to PG? So far, I have not been able to find anything similar. Neither of us are completely computer-illiterate, but would like to find something user friendly. PG was just so darn easy and thoughtless, I really wish it would still work!

Does anyone have any advice? We really need to find an alternative.

Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

have you checked the peerguardian website for updates?

3. tivaclare thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I can tell, they stopped providing support for the mac version quite awhile ago and have since moved on to a PC only version called "PeerBlock".

It worked great until the Lion update.:(

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. HackDaBox macrumors member

HackDaBox

Alternative to Peer Guardian for Lion

It's true that Peer Guardian has not been updated for a while now and has worked brilliantly up until Lion's release. If you were using a bit torrent client other than Transmission then stop using it and start using Transmission and make sure in preferences , Peers you have a tick on Prevent Peers in blocklist from connecting and automatically update weekly. This will add the functionality of Peer Guardian using Transmission !

HackDaBox !

6. Eljaimemh macrumors newbie

Peerguardian still works whit lion

I have 3days i update my mac whit lion and peerguardian is working still i dont know why is not working whit you

7. wrxratd macrumors newbie

I am currently running lion and peerguardian Version 1.6b2 (721) with no issues

I confirmed it working by downloading a test torrent while looking at the log and viewing the statistics page in peerguardian

8. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

I just installed v1.5 on Lion and it's working fine with the iblocklists?

9. HackDaBox macrumors member

HackDaBox

You should be using 1.6 as its designed for Snow Leopard !

Good to hear it's working for people .. a few of us had issues but a clean install fixed that !

Are your lists updating ... i tried adding iblocklist lists but they dont update !

any videos on adding and updating ?

10. wrxratd macrumors newbie

first remove all the non working ones by choosing them in the url box and clicking the minus button

to add new urls copy the new iblocklist url into url box hit enter then the plus sign

after u add all the urls u want just click the update button in lower left corner

11. HackDaBox macrumors member

HackDaBox

thanks

12. HackDaBox macrumors member

HackDaBox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Peer guardian works fine on Lion ! However the PG menu applet does not show near the clock !

13. wrxratd macrumors newbie

New version posted http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/thread-17063.html

After copying to applications run peer guardian then while peer guardian has focus hit command T to bring up statistics view which will also bring peer guardian to the menu bar

14. massimike macrumors newbie

anyone of you guys will be able to give me a link to the latest version of PG2 as I cannot connect to Phoenixlabs website and so cannot dowload it. I was previously running the 1.6b2 version but I reinstalled the OsX and so I lost it.
    Thanks to you all for help :D

15. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

16. massimike macrumors newbie

Ok, how did you get. It? The phoenixlabs website still responds 404 not found :(

17. urbankyleboy macrumors newbie

Hey I was just wondering if there was a way to stop peerguardian from showing all the addresses that it has blocked. I don't mean in the log, it keeps covering my screen with pop up like notifications of what it has blocked. Let me know, it is very annoying when trying to do anything while peerguardian is running. Thanks!

18. goferit macrumors newbie

19. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

20. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I prefer the "primary threats" block list over bluetack - level 1.

The PT list is usually slightly larger.

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

Great info, although would love to be able to add more than 1 blocklist in Transmission.

22. seteu5 macrumors newbie

peerguardian install

I too wasn't able to install peerguardian, but I was able to install peerguardian 1.6 by first uninstalling all previous versions of peerguardian, safe booting my laptop (mac) by holding the shift button, and then installing peerguardian. worked like a charm and now it works perfectly. hope this helps.

23. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Transmission stores blocklists in a folder named blocklists in its configuration folder.

In that directory, files ending in ".bin" are blocklists that Transmission has parsed into a binary format suitable for quick lookups. When transmission starts, it scans this directory for files not ending in ".bin" and tries to parse them. So to add another blocklist, all you have to do is put it in this directory and restart Transmission. Text and gzip formats are supported.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

THANKS! I've been googling this and nothing came up (ok, I googled for 30 seconds). Thanks though, I appreciate it!

25. bobright, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

bobright macrumors 601

Hi, I realize this is an old thread but does this still stand true? Anything out there like Peerguardian what are folks using nowadays?

BTW if I do use a blocklist through Transmission this is only working while I'm running the app and a torrent right, wouldn't you want this active at all times though?